what would you do? HELP!!!

My son has ADHD/ODD(oppositional defiant disorder), he is medicated, I left his dad when he was two and he does know him. I am have been with SO for 8 yrs and have a 2.5 yr old with him. Last year I sent my son (he'll be 13 in 2 mo) to live with his father because he was getting suspended, calling me a bitch & just not obeying the rules- step dad works in alaska most of the time so I dont have any help or back up-because our whole family lives in a different state. I ended up having to bring my son home because his father started staying out all night, not going to work and presumably doing drugs- he has not called my son for 8 mo. (cont)

argcwg

Asked by argcwg at 11:21 PM on Dec. 2, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• The one thing a child with this disorder needs is family stability and consistent parenting. Unfortunately, his dad was not able to give that to him. Also, it seems like he takes full advantage of you. This type of disorder because he also has ODD can be very hard to get a handle on. There are good days but a lot of bad days and you never really know what causes them. It seems you have been left to face a Giant by yourself without the weapons (knowledge) needed to win the battle. I would encourage you (if you have not already) to seek counseling for yourself and possible parenting classes (on this type of disorder).

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 11:34 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• I would also seek a support group of other moms/dads who are dealing with the same issue. Conventional disciplining usually does not work with children who have ODD, you have to find what "works" for you and your child and go with it. The hard part is finding what works. Please seek expert advice if it is available in your area or even online groups. I wish you the very best. There is light at the end of the tunnel...don't give up just yet. ((Hugs))
    Southerncharmes

• I agree my son has ODD and Mood disorder and they believe Bipolar and he's 14 now and it's really stressfull and you cant use the same dicipline on him that I would on my ohter kids.
    he's been that way since he was little also and it can be very frustrating. I hope things get better for you. My son is on medicine and goes to Couseling. I noticed Couseling really seems to help him but he has his bad days and good ones.
    mom4ever76

Answer by mom4ever76 at 9:38 AM on Dec. 3, 2008