I want to paint my livingroom BUT. . .

We just recently bought a new house and I am soooo tired of the antique white walls. I hate pastel colors, I love deep rich earth tones browns, reds, tans, etc, and anything that has a bit of an Indian feel to it. Not Native American decor, I'm talking about Southeast Asia colors with all of the vibrant deep blues, purples and reds. Problem is, I don't know where to start and stop with color because our livingroom is very open. It opens to the dining room, you can see a little bit into the kitchen, you can see down the staircase into the first floor, not to mention the hallway that stretches the length of our house. I want to use color, but I want everything to feel united. Give me a bedroom or a bathroom to decorate and paint and I'm your girl, but I don't know what to do about the livingroom!!!! All I know for sure is that the Antique White has GOT TO GO!

LoraGardiner

Asked by LoraGardiner at 9:29 AM on Apr. 22, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I've seen on decorating shows where they put up a piece of trim to divide rooms and have a stopping point for paint. Another option is to paint a whole wall one color even if it spans 2 rooms.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 9:34 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• What color is the dining room and kitchen? My living room is a chocolate brown, the kitchen is red and our hallway leading to the bedroom is a beige. I get what you are saying. My hubby painted the wall color light blue, I had to paint over it because it was so tacky. lol
    babygirl0782

Answer by babygirl0782 at 9:36 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• The trim idea is perfect. And remember if you are going with a deep dark color - go with a grey primer coat.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:41 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I think when I get home from work I will post some pictures of the room to give a better idea. Lol, in reading that, I should probably be working and not on here right now. . . Oh well, :) It's Friday!
    LoraGardiner

Comment by LoraGardiner (original poster) at 9:57 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Your local pro's at Home Depot or Lowes are happy to help you with color idea's and they are free to pick their brain.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:47 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• My living room is the same exact same way. Large open foyer, steps down to family room, steps up to living room.... semi open to kitchen/dining room and long hallway.
    My living room is painted a golden rod color (like mustard). The kitchen/dining room are a sage green and the family room is a Merlot color.
    I love LOVE color!!!!!!!

My problem is: I just had it painted in 2003ish..... and the wheels are turning already to have it repainted.
    Oh..... I LOVE COLOR!!!!
    MrsDAP

Answer by MrsDAP at 2:23 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I have a very open concept living area, foyer 2 stories, living room/dining room combo. I painted the wall that runs the length of the living/dining room red, and the other walls yellow.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 6:08 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• We have the exact same problem and this is the reason why we haven't painted, sigh.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 7:09 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• just do one wall in a bright color
    mommythree0508

Answer by mommythree0508 at 11:05 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• just go for it! you can always paint over it if you don't like how it turns out.
    Kainalu55

Answer by Kainalu55 at 4:05 AM on Apr. 23, 2011