Spoons.....

When should your child start using a spoon on his own. My son is 13 months and I give him a spoon to use but he just holds it and eats with his other hand. I am a first time mom and not sure what I am doing. Am I starting too early or should he be learning to use one by now?

SarahShirey

Asked by SarahShirey at 11:22 PM on Dec. 2, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I started at about 12 or 13 months scooping some food into the spoon, then handing it to him and letting him put it in his mouth. Then he gradually started getting the hang of scooping on his own. He's now 23 mos and still eats with his hands fairly often, but does know how to use a spoon. Just keep letting him hold onto it and try and eventually he'll get the hang of it!
    mom2XandZ

Answer by mom2XandZ at 12:04 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• my dd is almost 13 months what i did was watched for dominate hand put spoon in that hand and showed her how to do it she tries now and makes it most of the time
    calandrasmommy

Answer by calandrasmommy at 11:28 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• My son is 14 months and is a switch eater (both hands) He holds the spoon and I help him scoop the food. Mainly I feed him the mushy stuff and he eats the finger foods with his fingers. It takes time.
    chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 11:34 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• my boys are 17months they still eat with there hands they do know how to eat with a spoon and fork but rither have there hands
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 11:38 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• My son is almost 2 1/2 now but I started giving him a spoon as at 8 months when I would feed him. I think he could feed anything that sticks to the spoon somewhere around 12-15 months. He also can use a fork. He can't scoop up liquids with a spoon yet but that is okay because he will not eat wet foods like soup or cereal with milk yet. Just keep giving it to him and eventually he will learn how to use it. He is using his hands because that is easier for him.
    EtiesMommy

Answer by EtiesMommy at 12:23 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• My dd is 13 months and she started using utensils on her 1st birthday. She wouldn't eat her bday cake unless she could use my fork! It was an amazing thing to watch haha. Now I always give her a fork or spoon (depending on the meal) and she can choose to use it or not. Most of the time she uses it.
    I think your son is fine. If he is 2 and still not using utensils correctly then that is a problem.
    My aunt has 2 sons and she tells me boys develop a tad bit slower. She speaks from experience.
    Good luck! He'll most likely do it when he feels comfortable. :)
    mommacierra

Answer by mommacierra at 3:27 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Well my son turns 2 in a week, and he knows how to use a spoon and fork, he just chooses not too because using his fingers is easier for him. He gets away with it at home, but at restruants he has to eat "like a big boy". It's just not worth the fight all the time.
    britngavin

Answer by britngavin at 4:06 AM on Dec. 3, 2008