Husband and I have decided to build a house..........

The only thing is he can't see his self paying a morgatge for the next 30 yrs. Right now we have a house(my mom move and let us take up the notes, we are now finish paying for it). He decided to do most of the work him self and with help from family and friends. Is this smart? He makes good money and hopefully I will have a great job after I graduate next year. Even though we can do this without my finacial input. I know doing it this way will be a long process. What do you guys think? Is this wise? Has anyone every done this?

babygirl0782

Asked by babygirl0782 at 9:45 AM on Apr. 22, 2011 in Home & Garden

• If you are physically able to build a house DO IT. Being without debt is AWESOME.
    Build that house and do a fine job, pay for the materials as you go and move in without paperwork!
    Bless ya'll on this wise wise move and idea, you'll be so happy in just a few years, unlike so many others up to their ears in mortgage.
    Just remember to allow tax and ins. payments, and flood ins. Good Luck!!!
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:00 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I built my house 30 years ago, and it was a pain in the neck dealing with all the workers, and supervising, just for this fact I would not do it again.

Answer by older at 9:49 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I am sure you know that building a house is very trying for a couple. Dh and I have talked about building but we have argued over everything from the driveway to brick to colors.
    As for building a house over a period of time. I wouldn't really recommend that. If he can't get it done in the next 6 months I wouldn't do it. It's not good for houses to be exposed to the different seasons, it's really just not good for a house to just sit.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 10:13 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• My ex was in construction. I always thought we would build our own home too, but you know what they say about that. LOL! As long as he has experience in all areas of construction, or can get help in the areas he doesn't, I think it would be a great project!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:50 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• That's awesome! We currently have a contractor doing all the work but I wish SO n I were more involved in the labor. I'm 7mosmprego n he works full time so we can't help much (or at all :(). My dad was a construction worker n my brothers learned a lot. I wish my dad hadn't been so sexist n let me get my hands dirty. Good luck n enjoy it. U will feel so proud of urself knowing u did some of the work :)
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 10:24 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• His father, and all his father's brothers built their own house so we will have support.
    babygirl0782

Comment by babygirl0782 (original poster) at 9:52 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• The only problem I see is trying to sell the home down the road and it not passing an inspection because the work is not done by a licensed contractor or is not up to code. Other than that there's no problem building it yourself.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:38 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Have you seen the movie money pit with tom Hanks. Good movie. If that's what you want. Me and my husband are going to find a fixer upper, because he know how to build a house from the ground up. he's done this kind of work all his life.

HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 5:13 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• good luck:)
    mommythree0508

Answer by mommythree0508 at 11:08 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• We built our house, but through an architect and contractor. I would never recommend relying on family and friends, as it can sour the relationship if things do not go as planned. However, building your own home can be very rewarding I am sure. Also, if you have family members who have done this several times before, that is a little unique and definitely improves your chances of it working out. Only you can really make this decision because you know the family best. I would do some very deep soul searching and thinking on this one too...and if your gut tells you it is okay, then go for it!

Best wishes for your new home!!!
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 9:12 AM on Apr. 23, 2011