Washington Teen Gaby Rodriguez, 17, Fakes Pregnancy as Social Experiment? would you let your daughter do this for a grade?

Gaby Rodriguez, 17, shocked her friends, teachers and family when she said she was pregnant. She surprised them even more when she revealed this week that for six months, she had faked the pregnancy.

"Everybody was just shocked, like speechless," Rodriguez said.

Gaby decided to make her senior year project at Toppenish High School in Washington a social experiment where she pretended to be pregnant.

The straight-A student got the approval of her principal, her mother, her boyfriend and best friend. They were the handful of people in on the secret. Six of Gaby's seven siblings didn't know and neither did her boyfriend's parents.

"I had to lie to my sons and my daughters. When we told them she was pregnant, they were like, 'What?'" said Juana Rodriguez, Gaby's mom.

Gaby began the elaborate hoax following Homecoming last October. She convinced school principal Trevor Greene to let her pursue the project, which she's titled "Stereotypes, Rumors and Statistics."

"I admire her so much. Her courage, her creativity, her strength. She's gone through so much...alienating some of her friends along the way or being alienated from her friends," Greene said.

Gaby started with baggy clothes and eventually fashioned a fake belly out of wire mesh and cotton quilt batting. The aspiring social worker started taking notes on everything that was said about her.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/washington-teen-gaby-rodriguez-fakes-pregnancy-social-experiment/story?id=13434764

gammie

Asked by gammie at 10:23 AM on Apr. 22, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I very much admire this young woman. Her principal went as far as to get approval from the superintendent before signing off on this girl's Senior Project, a now mandatory, HUGE research project required for high school students to graduate. At least in the state of Washington. She's going to go far and do TONS of good things in the not so distant future.

That being said, it would take a LOT of convincing on my daughter's part to get me on board with something like this.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 10:54 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I think I would, so long as I felt she understood the possible repercussions. I'm sure this Gaby learned a valuable lesson, or 2 or 10.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 10:44 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I would definitely let my daughter do this!

It's given her a unique perspective in her future social work career that she wouldn't otherwise have (unless she actually got pregnant for real). I also think it was very bold and daring as I'm sure she probably lost a few friends over it - that's something that most teens her age wouldn't be willing to risk.
    Eek_a_Geek

Answer by Eek_a_Geek at 10:49 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I just realized that it says she's an aspiring social work student, as am I. I guess I'm ok with this because as a social work student we learn about the stereotypes and put downs that people deal with every single day in order to help them through it. Teen pregnancy is just as important as all the rest of the negative social stereotypes that people deal with. I have a feeling that this student will go very far with her career.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 10:35 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I would make sure she knew the consequences, but yes, I would let her.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:20 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Perhaps if others were not so accepting of their behavior, they would have.

It's not as though teen pregnancy is a new thing.  Once upon a time, girls were sent away to have babies due to a lack of acceptance, but did people stop having sex and getting pregnant as teens?  No.

DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 11:34 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Fact of the matter is that teenagers have sex drives, Meriana. Their bodies are SCREAMING at them to procreate. If they choose to ignore those screams in favor of completing high school or whatever, that's their choice and more power to them. But waiting until you're OUT of your teens to have sex is a very new concept. For most of history men and women married early, 14, 15, 16 years old, and before the advent of marriage and the exaltation of virginity as a virtue, men and women just did whatever they wanted whenever they wanted and had babies. It goes against biology and every hormone in their little teenage bodies NOT to have sex. That's why teen pregnancy is common, not because "it's accepted" but rather because our standards are not in line with our biology. You're SUPPOSED to have babies when you're most fertile, which is between the ages of 16 and 26. Why is everyone surprised when it happens?
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:53 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• i dont know i'm kinda on the fence about this one. It has come into our attention so much and maybe this is what she was trying to prove that we all need to be aware of this and it can happen to anyone.
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 10:27 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I think it was wrong not to let the boyfriend's parents know the truth. As a mom to a 17 year old son, I would be pissed if I was led to believe his girlfriend was pregnant, and went through all of the emotions involved with that just so his girlfriend could get a good grade.
    justlurking

Answer by justlurking at 10:42 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I think this is awesome. jumping in to see the stereotypes of that...When she's older and has her degree, she is going to do A LOT of good.
    GothicChk52

Answer by GothicChk52 at 4:06 PM on Apr. 22, 2011