Divorce--did you have two lawyers or did you both use the same one and did they work for the both of you?What to except in court?

He has a lawyer lined up and I hope to have a smooth one. But will one work for both of us or in my head since he signed one up I think he will be on his side. I have someone I can see on monday. If I go with my own how do I tell him? What to expect in court? I mean I was nervous see a judge doing the bankrupty thing but at the time we were on the same side. any help would be great. Thanks.

momindiana

Asked by momindiana at 10:25 AM on Apr. 22, 2011 in Relationships

• one can't work for both of you, it is called a conflict of interest unless you are doing an uncontested divorce.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 10:27 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I think its called conflict of interest. So I don't think the same lawyer can represent both of you.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 10:27 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• If a lawyer agrees to represent both of you, run from that lawyer. He is unethical. They are not allowed to represent two people whoh are against each other.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:36 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• You both can't have the same attorney. I started with one but because it took so long (due to his attorney not filing the right papers) I ended up going without one). I would recommend if you have alot of assests or want a hefty child support that you have an attorney. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

I am sorry you are going through this!
    MChildressDem

Answer by MChildressDem at 10:40 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• You can not both have the same attorney, but his attorney can draw up all the papers and stuff and you can just sign them. You would also sign a paper saying that you understood his attorney was working for him and that you did not have your own. I had an attorney and my ex signed those types of papers. I would get an attorney. I know when my attorney was telling my ex things about the documents, he stretched some things a little to support what was in the papers so it sounded to me almost like he was scaring my ex into signing. I'd get someone who is being paid to look out for YOU.
    soccerchik8287

Answer by soccerchik8287 at 10:52 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• If he has a good lawyer, you need one too. Good luck, sister!
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 10:54 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• My ex got an attorney, for whatever reason he thought he'd get screwed. I never hired one and we had a 6mo at the time. DS is now 6 1/2 and I still do not regret my decision of not getting a lawyer. For one, I could not afford it at the time, but there was no need for it. We both lost respect for each other but did not use our son against each other, that is a terrible thing to do to a child! We have joint custody all the way around, no CS goes either way. When DS is with me I pay for what he needs, when he's with his father he pays for what he needs, everything is still 50/50 by our choice, medical bills, prescriptions, sports, lunch money, clothes etc. But we also did not have any property together, they bank accounts were split 50/50 and we each took the vehicle we came with.
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 10:56 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Divorce use your common sense...
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 2:19 PM on Apr. 22, 2011