What rules do you/would you lay out for a babysitter?

What lines do you draw? Is there anything off limits? Are they expected to watch your child every minute of the day, or do you allow them to take a more laid back approach?

DusterMommy

Asked by DusterMommy at 10:38 AM on Apr. 22, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• No non kid friendly TV (MTV is out of the question!), don't run up the phone bill, clean up after yourself and the kids, make sure they get meals at meal time, no friends over (HUGE), answer the phone when I call. TAKE CARE OF THE KIDS (duhhh)

I don't care if they are on the computer while the kids are asleep or awake but don't get lost in it and forget why they are there.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 10:41 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Limit cartoons, play with him, make sure he eats something not too unhealthy, and don't let him die,,LOL! Also no boyfriends or anyone I don't know in my house/
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:42 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I have only had one sitter who was not a blood relative, but she was my friends daughter and a live in nanny. She knew she was not allowed to drink, smoke, bring guys over, take the kids anywhere without asking, let them watch rated R movies, or anything like that. My kids were between 3-12 when she worked for me. My oldest was allowed on the computer and such, so she could get on as well. I had no problem with it. My boys played video games, so if she wanted to play she could. I expected her to make good decisions for my kids, and watch them, but she was allowed to be human.

Answer by gemgem at 10:42 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• well i think they would need to watch your child all day, how old is your child? how old is the sitter? that has a lot to do with it
    Ethans_Ma

Answer by Ethans_Ma at 10:43 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Since my daughter is just under 3, I would expect a babysitter to be with her as much as possible. Breaks to get food prepared or to use the bathroom are fine. I wouldn't expect housework to be done so there's no reason for their attention to be away from my daughter. That's my approach as well. That said, every second doesn't need to be spent entertaining my dd. A babysitter could read, for instance, while my dd plays independently for a bit. No phone or texting though. I don't think it's too much to expect. It's the behaviour that I expected of myself when I babysat as well.
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 10:43 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Just out of curiosity, Nonoluna, how is reading any different from texting or using the internet via your phone? Both will take attention, and I'd say reading a book would take more attention away from your child.
    DusterMommy

Comment by DusterMommy (original poster) at 10:47 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• OP, you can put a book down and ignore it for 45 minutes before getting right back where you left off; a friend who texted however will keep texting and call after so long with no answer.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 10:53 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• You can tell said texting person I cant text back awhile, so same thing. The text will still be there, like the book.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• zoejains, anyone who would be have that way needs to learn some texting etiquette. The beauty of texting vs. calling is that texting is "at your convenience".
    DusterMommy

Comment by DusterMommy (original poster) at 11:01 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I wouldnt care of the sitter texted ....read.... or whatever.....Because I do those things when I have my daughter! hahah not all the time because its good to give your children lots of attention but I wouldnt set ground rules like that.... its nice to be realistic... obviously no drugs alcohol People over...parties >>>leaving my kid unsupervised!!! big major one... but my childs 3 and very independent so it wouldn't be a difficult task. Also to answer when i call
    Anastacia1988

Answer by Anastacia1988 at 11:23 AM on Apr. 22, 2011