Do you feel that in renting...that?

Do you think that water, sewer, and trash, and possibly even gas should be included in your monthly rent. ?>
If not what is included and why is it included.
Does what you pay seem fair, and if you agree, would you still agree it's a good practice to rent out to others with the intention of solely living off those renters for your entire living?

if you are a landlord, do you work full time, and why do you charge what you charge for you total rent, including the extra utilities.

coffeeyum

Asked by coffeeyum at 10:41 AM on Apr. 22, 2011 in Money & Work

• Yes, but its not, we pay everything.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 10:42 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I wish it was, it's just so much easier but I understand why it isn't.. some people are energy hogs and the price of rent would have to sky rocket for everyone else just to cover that one person's bills.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 10:50 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I think it depends on how much you are paying in rent. If you have a low rent payment then I think you should pay your own water bill. I am renting a 5 bdrm and only pay around $600 a month. That doesnt include anything in regards to water/trash pick up. I pay that every month (its combined) and its less then $50 a month. Id rather pay the monthly then have it added on and pay more. Our landlord does have many workers, we live on a farm, so I do get perks. They do some lawn work, they transplant trees and bushes for me when I ask, and plow my garden every year so I can plant.

Answer by gemgem at 10:54 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• From a landlord's POV, I never pay for utilities for my renters. Having an all-bills-paid rental agreement is hardly ever beneficial to the leasor. Tenants have a tendancy to have a care-free usage of the utilities when they don't pay the bills themselves. If the landlord pays for utilities, tenants are less inclined to hold that thermostat at 65 in the winter or 76 in the summer. Water usage is over the top, as well. So, to keep rental rates at a reasonable price, my renters are responsible for their own utilities. Then they can use all the water, gas & electric they please. It's their dime.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 10:54 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Oh, and as for the trash, etc..in the areas where it's not included in the water bill, my renters pay for their own trash service. I used to. But, then, I would get fined for things they would put in the trash that didn't belong or if they refused to recycle. So, my renters are responsible for that, as well.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 10:57 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I think if it's not included a lot of landlords put the cost in the price of rent. We pay water and sewage but not trash. I'm sure the property taxes are in the price of the rent too.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 11:15 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I pay $700 for a 2bd 2ba duplex....for the area that we live in this is a freaking GREAT price....we were paying $800 when we first moved here but went through some financial troubles and we talked to the landlady and she agreed to lower the price (we're good tenents and she was having difficulty renting out this place for some reason) we pay for water, sewage but not trash...I think that what we're paying is WAY more then fair...we plan on staying here until we are able to afford to buy a house.
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 11:56 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Oh, Lucky! You sound like an awesome renter! You're landlord is lucky to have you. I'm glad you have such a great relationship with her! I've had wonderful renters such as yourself. And, I've had renters from the other end of the spectrum, as well. UGH! I wish they were all like you!
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 1:28 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• When we owned a rental property basic cable was included in the montly rent because it was included in the HOA and that was paid by us. They were responsible for Water, Sewer and Electric.
    mommyslate

Answer by mommyslate at 3:00 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• My parents own about 20 rental units that range from mobile homes, apartments, condos, and houses. The price of the rent includes water, electricity, trash, cable, etc. The only thing that they don't cover is Internet. The rent they charge is well below what others charge for just rent and nothing else. My parents provide these things because they have a contract with certain companies that offer them a very low rate for these services. For example, the cable is only $15 a month for each unit. The normal price is $60.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 3:30 PM on Apr. 22, 2011