Help, My 7 month old daughter got a hold of my 2 year olds small clear hair rubberband, and while my husband was trying to get it out of her Cheek, it slid down her throat.

She did not choke in any way, that is what we were freaking out about, but what can happen it it in her body? will she just poop it out, can it tangle itself around a organ or something? They are very tough rubberbands as it uses some force from me to get it around my 2 year olds hair. Someone with some helpful advise please let me know because I am freaking out here. Thanks

indysownlilbit

Asked by indysownlilbit at 10:44 AM on Apr. 22, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Call your doctor and get their advice.
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 10:46 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• It should pass in her BM within the next 24 hrs. Keep an eye on those diapers to make sure. Yuck, I know. And, call your doctor's office & talk to a nurse for extra reassuance.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 10:46 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I suggest bringing her to the ER. It should come out on it's own but it would be a good idea to have her checked out to make sure it's not hooked on any organs.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:47 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I wouldnt freak out unless she started getting sick or crying excessively...I would take her to the ER if she did that. It will probly pass and she will poop it out. I know its ahrd not to worry when it comes to your children, just keep a watch on her and if she seems like she is in pain or discomfort take her to the doctor!! Good luck and praying for you and your baby girl!
    mrs.keen

Answer by mrs.keen at 10:48 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I had this happen. I quit with the hair things because it made me so paranoid after. I feel ya. She'll probably pass it. I'd call her pediatrician before I went rushing her in to the ER. Only go if your doctor says to go. If it's one of those little ones she'll probably just pass it.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:04 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• tyfry, you're right, spend upward a thousand dollars to be sent home and told it will pass through her system lol.

Don't bother with the ER. Kids swallow all kinds of horrible stuff. My son got some styrofoam once and my daughter ate a rock. As the grandpa in Grumpier Old Men said when a kid swallowed a quarter "It's nothing. Worry if he poops two dimes and a nickel." lol.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:07 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I would keep an eye out call ur dr and make sure she doesnt get backed up or has any stomach pain.... er or a patient first would prolly be the quickest option to have it checked out
    Anastacia1988

Answer by Anastacia1988 at 11:07 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• It's just like when children eat pennies. I'm pretty sure she will be ok. Children are strong! You probably will find it in her poo but you can call your dr if your worried. GL!
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 11:08 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• ok thank you everyone for calming my nerves. The doctor called back and agreed with most all of you, that she will pass it, as long as it def went down her throat . This too shall pass. haha. i feel better. And to top it all off my hubby felt horrible that he didnt get it out and made the situation worse. lol Have a good weekend everyone
    indysownlilbit

Comment by indysownlilbit (original poster) at 11:26 AM on Apr. 22, 2011