What do expect out of a good Child Care Center?

What would make you say that's the one for me? What would make you say this is not it?

Liamsmom09

Asked by Liamsmom09 at 10:48 AM on Apr. 22, 2011 in General Parenting

• I have only used in home daycare. Mine keeps them busy every day. Each week has a theme (Dr. Seuss's birthday, spring, rain forest) They do so many projects and have so much fun. My kids never want to leave and want to go on weekends! She is wonderful. I think you just know when the person is right. Look at the kids. Are they happy? Make sure you call other parents before you sign up. Hear what they have to say.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:55 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I'm lucky in that my mom used to inspect day care centers so she gave me lots of pointers. Probably the biggest selling point for me was its accreditations. If your center is accredited by the NAEYC (National Association of the Education of Young Children) it is among the best. It's hard, long, and expensive for the center to get NAEYC approval and it is a gold standard in the industry. That's one marker. Of course all the credentials in the world won't replace an adequate number of caring adults, low turn over, and safe facilities. Good luck with your search!
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 10:57 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I agree with the PP. A center should be NAEYC accredited. When touring the center p[ay attention to the kids. Do they seem happy? How are the staff interacting with them? How is the room set up? Is it colorful, and child centered? Is art hanging on the walls? Are there sensory activities, books, and and plenty of toys? How's the outdoor space? Is the staff CPR/First Aide certified? How are the hours? What are the rates? ALL OF THOSE ARE IMPORTANT.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 11:19 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Ok I looked up the NAEYC child care facilities in my area and the only one is the one at the college that is closeing. Which is why I'm now looking for somewhere to place him.
    Liamsmom09

Comment by Liamsmom09 (original poster) at 11:33 AM on Apr. 22, 2011