What do you do when your 5 year old is throwing a tantrum?

I just want to know everyones stratagies!

mrs.keen

Asked by mrs.keen at 10:53 AM on Apr. 22, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• i ignore it
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 10:54 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Make sure he is safe and IGNORE the tantrum. Most kids throw tantrums because they don't get their way or they want attention.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:54 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• time out until they are ready to act like a big kid and not a baby.. if we are out in public, I say bye and walk several feet away and ask if they are done.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 10:55 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I spanked my kid's for throwing tantrums. Worked EVERY time to get them to stop!
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 11:00 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I bend down to her level and tell her that she cannot act this way and that if she cant behave she cant continue having fun while being good then its time out... i always give her the chance to stop before the punishment..... and most of the time by removing whatever the tantrum is about it will make her calm down.... i learn everything i do from SuperNanny and my mom haha
    Anastacia1988

Answer by Anastacia1988 at 11:02 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Only one of my three kids had an actual tantrum and even so,it wasn't a major meltdown and never in public. but when she did get mad,I either told her to sit in her room and think about it----and ask her if it was really worth all the fuss,etc. But spanking only makes kids more hysterical and then they can't calm down. We were believers in quiet and calm....no yelling.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 11:06 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I tell him that he can't act like that and if it doesn't stop he will loose one of his fun things for the day. That usually puts an end to it, if not then he gets a time out and I ignore him until he stops.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 11:26 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I love reading how different moms handle things...thanks guys for teling me how you do it!!
    mrs.keen

Comment by mrs.keen (original poster) at 11:27 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• We take away computer or game time if my son starts to have a tantrum.
    bether89

Answer by bether89 at 2:09 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• my son is now 6yo and we were in walmart and he decided to throw a tantrum. When he threw his tantrum i threw one with him. I have never had that problem again. Kids dont want to be embarrased! it worked
    4my1stborn

Answer by 4my1stborn at 7:41 PM on Apr. 22, 2011