Books!

What are some good books for a 7 year old he is in 1st grade an will be in 2nd grade this school year (2011-2012) Thanks for the help!!!! Hope you all have a blessed day!!

Mommie-of-2

Asked by Mommie-of-2 at 10:55 AM on Apr. 22, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• we actually ordered magazines for DD. Clifford, bob the builder and those fun kids type books are always helpful Scholastic books are my hero!
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 10:57 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• the diary of a wimpy kid books!! while they are chapter books they are not a hard read b/c they have so many pictures in them. I have actually sat down and read them b/c my 9 year old reads them and they are pretty cute!!
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 10:57 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Is the diary of a wimpy kid a series type book or would it matter which book I bought first. I have seen them at walmart but I didn't really know what they was about.
    Mommie-of-2

Comment by Mommie-of-2 (original poster) at 11:03 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• yeah they are but you can pick them up at any spot and still be ok and then he can watch the movie!!
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 11:15 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• What exactly is the book about?
    Mommie-of-2

Comment by Mommie-of-2 (original poster) at 11:16 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• it's about this boy who writes in his diary and all the funny things that happens to him in his day to day life, like for example he wants to earn some money so he and his friend decide to open up a lawn business but he doesn't want to do any of the work so he gets his friend to do it and they do a bad job etc. etc. it's just good clean fun and alot of it seems like what would really happen in a typical boys life.
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 11:45 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• These probably aren't sold in stores anymore, but you'll find them at your library: Encyclopedia Brown series by Donald J. Sobol, the Great Brain series by John D. Fitzgerald, Henry Reed detective series by Keith Robertson. My brother LOVED these books!
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 1:04 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• My kids love Diary of a Wimpy Kid! They are currently in 3rd (DS) and 1st grade (DD), fwiw.

Other ideas:
    - Magic Tree House books by Mary Pope Osbourne (You should read them in order as there are bigger adventures linked across a 4 book span. Books 1 to 4 go together, 5-8, etc. ..)
    - My Weird School & My Weird School Daze books by Dan Gutman
    - Ricky Ricotta's Mighty Robot by Dav Pilkey (Dav has also written the Ook and Gluk and Captain Underpants series)
    - Geronimo Stilton books
    - Jigsaw Jones books by James Preller

Does he have a favorite character? My 2 enjoy chapter books based on Pokemon, for example. DS likes reading books based on Bionicle characters.

ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:37 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• My son is in 2nd grade now and he loves The Diary of a Wimpy Kid books. We have been reading them since first grade.
    bether89

Answer by bether89 at 2:07 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I would also look into the magic treehouse series, my son is in second grade and loves them. They are pretty easy for him but they are good stories and there are like 30 of them. So there is always something new to get.

Diary of wimpy kid is ok, but I think he is kind of a sassy kid. I guess I'm one of the few that don't love that series.
    choco_mom

Answer by choco_mom at 11:44 AM on Apr. 26, 2011