If you did this recipe would you drain the beans before adding them or not?

There doesn't seem to be a lot of sauce, which is why I was wondering (I'm crockpotting it all day, not doing it on the stove.)

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Chili-I/Detail.aspx

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:05 AM on Apr. 22, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I don't drain my beans when I make chili regardless of pot or crockpot. I use as making part of the sauce. There really isn't enough liquid in the bean can to make it "soupy". So, I think you will be fine if you don't drain them.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 11:09 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• yeah i wouldn't drain them either
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 11:11 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I don't like using the juices that the beans come in.....I usually add ketchup and a can of diced or stewed tomatos.
    BeachyBabe

Answer by BeachyBabe at 11:20 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I always drain can beans like kidney, black, pinto, garbonzo etc. I think the liquid they are in looks nasty.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 11:28 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Yes, drain and rinse the beans....it will help keep "gas" to a minimum. I always drain canned beans, unless of course they are canned chili.

The canned tomatoes should have plenty of liquid, or you can add some tomato sauce. You might want to add some cumin to, just to make a more flavorful.....but that's just my personal taste.

Definitely drain the beans!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:30 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Wow, I'm going back to bed....that should say "you might want to add some cumin too, just to make it more flavorful"!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:31 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Keep the liquid...
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 1:10 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Actually...the getting rid of water & rinsing to reduce gas refers to the pre-soak water of dry beans. Not the liquid they are cooked in. Canned beans are already cooked & as "gas-free" as they're gonna get. Sadly, there is no such thing as a gas-free bean. But, wouldn't it be nice? LOL.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 1:25 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I wouldn't
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 1:35 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I don't.
    bether89

Answer by bether89 at 2:50 PM on Apr. 22, 2011