You call yourself a christian?

So I'm not an overly religious person I have my beliefs and I don't usually like to debate with people about them... But how does someone make a comment like this?

"Jesus is coming!! Soon I hope!! Hope the rapture is real to!! Nothing like several million people being GONE in the blink of an eye to make people BELIEVE now is there?"

The way this reads to me, is that this person is wishing that all the "non-believers", or possibly just dont believe her way, will all be 'GONE'. Am I just crazy or it that an awful thing to say about another human being? Like I said before... I'm not overly religious, but if religion makes people think and talk like that... maybe I don't want to be.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:10 AM on Apr. 22, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• LOL I saw that in the post to, and I walked away.... I am not a Christian, but I believe in God and a Goddess, i believe that you do no harm, no matter how unhappy you are with any situation...that includes wishing harm on people for their beliefs, or lack of. I think that a lot of people miss the point of faith and spiritualism. Love those around you, even the ones that make mistakes, learn compassion and empathy, and watch what you send out, because it might be what comes back to nip you in the butt.....Sometimes you can't read the attitude of the person in the words they write, so we take it a way that it was never meant to be taken...don't be to quick to anger sweetheart. Blessed Be!
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 11:16 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I think what she meant was that if the Rapture happens and all the believers are taken to heaven and only us heathens are left, we will be more likely to believe in Jesus. I think she meant it as a good thing, that our souls will be saved after that. But I agree, it was written kind of rudely.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:13 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Believers in the Rapture believe the faithful will be taken. Unbelievers will be left behind.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:14 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I agree with the pp's - while it doesn't look like it was expressed very well, it's not meant like a "all non believers get out" sort of thing. It's more like a "all who are saved will be taken up into Heaven" sort of thing. Which would then lead to the whole "seeing is believing"... Which, in the op's mind probably means that then more people would accept Christ and be saved - as opposed to a "burn, baby, burn" attitude :-)

Though I can see how it wasn't written very well, and if someone isn't familiar with how many believe the Rapture will happen, it could be taken in a bad way.

Hope this helps explain where they're probably coming from a little better :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 11:20 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I read it twice.. I think some of you are misreading it. ( kinda like selective hearing :-) )

I will interpret what she was saying.
    She was speaking of the believers being gone and the result being the unbelievers will then believe! There is nothing wrong with that however... I do not as a Christian believe that we are to live for the rapture but to live as Christ lived on the earth touching as many lives as we can via the guidance of Holy Spirit!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 11:30 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Extremist crazies.... I would imagine or hope someone's heart would break for "non believers" instead of wishing "sinners" away. We're all children of God (my beliefs).....Their attitude is like conditionally loving their sibling only when they're making right choices. Sad, sad, sad.
    BeachyBabe

Answer by BeachyBabe at 11:17 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I know people like that...it's like they're gleeful about it, they're finally going to be vindicated~ all those nasty non-believers will finally see that THEY WERE WRONG!!! HAHA!!!
    And yes, I think that's exactly how it was meant in the post you're referring to.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 11:21 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I thought it was a good question...I asked it because I want to know what other people think of it...I dont understand why people make a big deal about religion? I mean we believe in what we believe should we be bashed for what we do believe in? I know that in the end you will be judged on what you have done,said, and thought....so....God Bless all of you on here and the rest of the World!! :o)
    mrs.keen

Answer by mrs.keen at 11:21 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I'm not angry... I try not to judge anyone for what they believe... I just wanted to understand how someone who appears to be with so much faith can say somthing to awful IMO. I have alot of the same beliefs you do Kitchenwitch78.

And thank you Ati_13 and Gdiamante... I think I understand a little more why someone would say somthing like that... I guess I read it out of context.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:21 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• We that believe must live a life that trys to exude our Christianity. With comments that strike us the wrong way we must accept them and realize the lord will be our last judge. Our main concern as Christian sisters is to show non- believers Gods grace through the love and forgiveness we live with because of his sacrifices. That we realize we never deserved not even with our last breath. Therefore we must love those that rub us the wrong way more for they need the truth and love more than another humble believer does. Only then can we be his greatest tool to spread his word and story of our salvation.
    KPeoples

Answer by KPeoples at 11:31 AM on Apr. 22, 2011