Is it common for doctor's to strip your membranes at 38 or 39 weeks? Pretty much will they do it BEFORE 40 weeks?

I have my LMP due date which was just a guess anyway: May 12th

I also have my 8wk ultrasound due date: May 8th

The doctor said that they won't change the due date unless it's a week or over difference so I've just been hoping that the ultrasound was more accurate! :] Anyway, I'm wanting to get my membranes stripped May 3rd which would put me at either 38.5wks pregnant OR 39.2wks pregnant depending on which due date you go off of.

What's your opinion on if the doctor will strip my membranes at this appointment or not? When did you get your's stripped? BTW, I'm planning to ask at my next appointment only if I've started to progress at all. I only want to if baby is getting ready on her own already. :]

ours

Asked by ours at 11:22 AM on Apr. 22, 2011 in Pregnancy

• my dr did it at 37 and 38 weeks... at 38 weeks I went into labor ( the day she did it)
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 11:25 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• @June_Mama09 - Was this your first and we're you already dilated/effaced at all?
    ours

Comment by ours (original poster) at 11:27 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• My doctor did it at 38 weeks...so to answer your question yes! I was at a 1...so he went ahead and did it!! then he induced me at 39 weeks!
    mrs.keen

Answer by mrs.keen at 11:35 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I wouldn't recommend doing it before 40 weeks. It is painful, and might now work. My doctor did it at 40 weeks and I still had to be induced at 42 weeks. And i was at 2cm and 100% effaced when they were stripped.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 11:37 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• @BabyBugsmama - I know that it's got pretty much a 50/50 chance of working, but with my husband's weird work schedule it would just be perfect timing if it did work. We already have a 2 year old so I know it'll be really hard without him there the first week to help out.

What I didn't think about though, is that I'm not sure if I could get the doctor to say this was a necessary procedure. She's really sweet, but I don't know. If she doesn't my insurance won't cover any of it. I guess I'll just have to ask!
    ours

Comment by ours (original poster) at 11:42 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I had mine done with my first at 40 weeks right on my DDs due date. I had to be induced at 41 weeks. I was dialated to a 3 and 80 percent effaced. With my 2nd DD they stripped my membranes at 38 weeks and I had her the next day. I was dialated to a 3-4 and was 70 percent effaced.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 12:12 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• IT depends on your pregnacy case...
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 3:38 PM on Apr. 22, 2011