What are your limits????

I have a very defiant 2 1/2 year old, which Im sure is very common...well, my DH works A LOT and we are trying to get on the same page as far as what she's allowed to do and what she isn't....some of this is common sense, such as hitting, smacking, etc....Im wondering about toys and things like that...what warrants a time out with you?? How long do they stay in timeout?? What are they allowed to get away with??? This is causing some problems with us, b/c when my DH IS home my daughter only wants him...I am frustrated b/c I want to have fun as a family and do things when he actually gets a day off. But that doesn't happen. The day is stressful and a nightmare. She does nothing but scream and try to get away with murder....I have such a routine with her, but since he doesn't have any consistency in his time off, it's hard for him to establish routine...just looking for some ideas here. And please be courteous. I've been told by some mommies that I need a time out. Im not looking for those answers. I really want to know what you do. Thanks so much :)

calliesmommie

Asked by calliesmommie at 11:22 AM on Apr. 22, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I struggle with the same problems as you. My hubby has a different idea of how she's suppose to be disciplined and whatnot. When he is home, she's horrible... when it's just my DD and I everything runs pretty smoothly. My hubby and I constantly fight over what I do "wrong" and how we should do it his way.

We really need to get on the same page, but it's so hard and frustrating. I hope things get better for both of us!
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 11:31 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I am still trying with my own son who is 2 1/2 himself. lol so i will let you know when that happens. But for the time span of a time out i was told was 1 min for however old they are so if they are 2 that is 2 minutes 3 yr old 3 mins and so on. I am actually looking forward to see the other moms answers.

mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 11:33 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I always give my daughter a warning first. Then is she continues to whine or cry....after i have said no... she will get a 3 minute time out (she is 3) i make her face the corner or put her on her bed to sit in her room. I go back to her and make her apologize to get out. She knows she cant get everything she wants. a rule at my house is no yelling or stomping when shes upset about something. We live in a apartment so this is uncalled for. I used to have that same issue before i moved out of my moms house. My daughter loved her soo much because she would give her whatever shes wanted...but since we moved her behavior has really improved.. Sounds like your acknowledging the problem and he needs to put forth the extra effort to disciple or this problems only gonna get bigger and harder to deal with :/ Good luck
    Anastacia1988

Answer by Anastacia1988 at 11:34 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• i always heard the time out should be as old as they are so for her it should be two minutes and as hard as it's gonna be make sure she stays there it could mean that you have to constantly have to return her to it but she will eventually get the hint. And as far as the toys go i used to put the toys in "time-out" if they were playing with the toys the wrong way or throwing them etc. that seemed to work too. I hope this helps a little.
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 11:33 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• i think also she sees you guys as good cop bad cop and you guys need to get on the same page and he needs to be also the discipliner as well she needs to see equality between you two. And trust me she is doing the clingy thing to him when he's home meerly to get to you and it's working. Try and not let her see that this bothers you and it will stop.
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 11:35 AM on Apr. 22, 2011