What age was your child when you put them in child care and how did you deal with it?

DS will me 2 very shortly and this fall I'm going to school. I've always worked aprt time or been a SAHM. There was a short time when I worked at daycare and was able to bring him there but I didn't like the way they did things there. I know he will be fine but I'm worried about finding the right place and being sure he is treated well.

PLUS, I have never left him with anyone besides grandma, Grandpa, and Daddy. The longest I have ever spent away from him is 5 hrs. I know there are plenty of mom's out there that work full time and I should suck it up. But I think this will be harder for me then him. And I don't want to put him in the wrong place.

How did you do it and at what age? How did your child do?

Thanks!

Liamsmom09

Asked by Liamsmom09 at 11:23 AM on Apr. 22, 2011 in General Parenting

• Only my oldest went to child care, he was 2 1/2.....he handled it much better than I did!!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:25 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• 3 and I cried like a baby but she on the other hand Love it!!
    mrs.keen

Answer by mrs.keen at 11:26 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• 6 weeks on the dot for our now 3 1/2 mo DD. I balled the first 2 weeks lol It does get easier, I miss her like crazy all day long, but I love the time we do get together even more!
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 11:30 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I put our son in a Center at 16 months.. it was torture but within a couple weeks it got better.. a little.. its not in the cards for us for me to stay home and he's 3-1/2 and now in an In home daycare because he hated the Center and wasn't transitioning the way he should, since being in the in home daycare last july, he is doing SO much better, like a new child.!! It is still hard to deal with as we don't leave him wtih anyone other than grandparents and my sister and its never been for any longer than 8 hours while I am working either.. its just hard all around.. now he's learning socializing skills with other kids he wouldn't get at home with me, he learns to share and that its not ALL about Max lol!~ he does projects and activities and they play group games.. it makes it easier seeing how happy he is and its just another person/kids to love him to pieces
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:30 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• my son was 10 weeks and my daughter was 8 weeks when I had to go back to work. I cried more with my son than my daughter. It was hard at first, but I found an in home child care provider that I and my kids adore. I had to get used to it b/c I really didn't have a choice, now my kids are 5 and 3 and they sometimes want to go to her house on the weekends just to hang out. It does get easier.. GL
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 11:40 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• DD was 8 months old when we put her in daycare...and 13 months old when we took her out. She did great because she is such a social little butterfly, but after we got her adoption and medical expenses paid off, there was just no reason for me to work any longer.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 11:49 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• DD was 13 weeks old. She was/is an easygoing child and she transitioned beautifully. I was pretty philosophical about returning to work full time; it helped that the same month she started daycare I got vested in my employer's retirement program. Her center and caregivers are wonderful and we've been very happy with our experience. DD is now 17 months old and she looks forward to her day there. I admit it was very hard to leave her there at first, but it turned out to be a positive experience for us all. Best of luck, you'll both do fine.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 12:18 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• my kids haven't ever been in daycare they have always been with me. My oldest will be 6 next week and has been with me since she started kindergarden last fall. My other dd that just turned 3 in January is going to be going to head start starting next week which I am very sad about, but she is such a handful and thought it would be easier to have there in headstart when this baby comes. Sometimes I start thinking and wishing I didn't put her in it yet because I am going to miss her sooo much and she just seems so little for school
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 1:02 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I wish I did't have to put him in day care but inorder to go to school and work, I have to. DH works and so does all the family memebers I trust with him. Besides he really loves playing with children and I think socaily it will be good for him.
    Liamsmom09

Comment by Liamsmom09 (original poster) at 1:07 PM on Apr. 22, 2011