Doing the right thing

If you were watching the news and the story was featuring someone that robbed a bank and you knew that person would you turn them in?

I saw a story of someone that robbed a bank in our area and I think I know who the person is. It's my ex fiance father. He has robbed people before and the story fits how he does it. He is always polite about robbing them asking nicely and says I'm sorry. I cant see the face very well but the physical description fits him. My ex knows and he isn't sure if he should turn his dad in. We still talk and yes both of your spouses know. He asked for my advise. But I don't think he's going to take it. I already called the police and said I think I know who it is. I don't know if I did the right thing. I keep thinking what if I am wrong? What if I called the police on an innocent man? The bank that was robbed is very close to where he still lives.

mommy_of_two388

Asked by mommy_of_two388 at 11:26 AM on Apr. 22, 2011 in Relationships

• If it's the wrong man the police will figure it out, It's not like they are just going to go arrest the guy. They will investigate and they will make sure before they move. I honestly don't know what to tell you on this one....I don't know what I would do. Considering you already called the police there is no point of worrying about it anymore...go on about your life and let the police figure it out.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 11:29 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I think you did the right thing! I think that he needs someone to catch him...if he has done it many of times before and he looked familiar to you...I'd say it was!!
    mrs.keen

Answer by mrs.keen at 11:29 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• You are doing the right thing . . .hands down. If it was not his father, then the father will have an alibi, and won't have any of the stolen cash. But, chances are, if his son and you recogonize him, it is probably him.

It is better for him if he gets caught now. If he does not, he will eventually up the ante, and then get caught with multiples under his belt . . . not good. Criminals usually get more careless as they go on, so he would eventually get caught.

And, I am sure that there were a few people who are now permanantly traumatized. Some people have to stop working at the bank, because the fear that it will happen again is so strong. He could have caused permanant emotional disability. When someone you don't know is robbing you, especially if they have a gun, it is absolutely frightening . . .I can tell you that from experience. You are doing his victims a great service by turning him in.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 11:34 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I think you did the right thing. Even if it was not him, and if more people than you are thinking it was him that is fairly strong opinion, the police will come to that in the investigation. I could not live with myself if I knew someone committed such a serious crime as bank robbery and did nothing. So again I think you did what you needed to and as was already said, you've called the police so nothing you can do now anyway. Try to forget it for a while and leave in their hands.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 11:36 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• All it takes for evil to prevail is for good people to sit around and do nothing. You did the right thing mama, and if it IS the wrong man then the police will figure it out and the man will go free. No worries, you did what you felt you had to do
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 11:45 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• If he didn't do it, then that will be cleared up (he won't have the money, he won't be identified as the robber by the bank tellers, he will have an alibi, etc.) If he did do it, do you really want him walking around doing that sort of thing?

You didn't say that you knew for sure that he did it, you just said that you know someone who MIGHT have done it.

I think you did the right thing.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 11:37 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• if he's innocent they will most likely release him, but the police i'm sure have witnesses that can either clear him or convict him, you did the right thing
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:05 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• You did the right thing.
    lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 1:21 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Yes I would turn them in if I knew who they were. Crime stoppers also pays a reward for doing this in our state, but to me it's a matter of doing the right thing.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 2:36 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• turn them in
    flipper4u21

Answer by flipper4u21 at 3:32 PM on Apr. 22, 2011