President Obama heckled at S.F. fundraiser: Thoughts?

As President Obama addressed the crowd at a breakfast fundraiser in San Francisco Thursday, he fielded some audience input that he wasn't bargaining for.

A woman in the crowd suddenly rose from her seat and said: "Mr. President, we wrote you a song," according to the White House pool report. The president attempted to quiet her, but the woman and her table of donors at the St. Regis Hotel breakfast broke into song and raised signs that read "Free Bradley Manning"--the Army intelligence specialist accused of releasing diplomatic cables to WikiLeaks. Yesterday, it was reported that Manning had been moved to a less restrictive prison following pressure from human rights groups.

The protesters said they had spent $5,000 donating to Obama. "We'll vote for you in 2012, yes that's true. Look at the Republicans--what else can we do?" they reportedly chanted.

"We paid our dues. Where's our change?" they sang.

You can watch a clip of the protesters below, via the San Francisco Chronicle:

As the protesters sang, the pool report notes that Obama turned to Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, who represents San Francisco, to ask if she was responsible for the interruption. "Nancy, did you do this?" he reportedly asked. Her look said she did not, according to the report.

The woman who first addressed the president was escorted out of the room and Obama told the crowd "that was a nice song."

He quickly resumed his speech.

Adam Martin reports for Atlantic Wire that the song lyrics can be found on the website for Fresh Juice, a group that offers money in exchange for video of people singing its songs in public. "Fresh Juice appears to be linked to Courage to Resist, an activist group that supports members of the military who go against U.S. war efforts," Martin wrote.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_theticket/20110422/ts_yblog_theticket/president-obama-heckled-at-s-f-fundraiser

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:28 AM on Apr. 22, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• my one thought was if you dont like what someone has to say dont listen , but to rudely interput someone elses event makes you no better than the person you heckling.......for me it wasnt a political thing it was a human being thing.......i think if people took a step back and really look at what was going on in the world (and some of its their fault) they would be little a shamed.......
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 11:36 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• So they paid all that money just to be removed? Well, I guess that's their right.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 11:36 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Yea. Some liberal loons don't think he is FAR left enough. I think a few of those loons are on CM.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:37 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• lol grly.Pfft Obama is still too far left for most Americans this will be proven in 2012 @ election time
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 11:39 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I think we all have the right to disagree with our political leaders, and we all have the right (and, I believe, a duty) to hold them accountable for their actions - especially when we don't agree with those actions. HOWEVER - there are appropriate and inappropriate ways to do this. This was inappropriate.

Yes, those people paid their money - but so did everyone else there. They paid because they wanted to hear what the Pres had to say, not listen to them (the hecklers).

And btw, I am not an Obama fan, and I do NOT think that the intel guy who leaked the info should be freed!
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 11:42 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• In San Francisco he got heckled, WOW that is great!

gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:44 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Yea tnmom. I''m just grateful those far left loons are a minority to the overall voting population. It's already bad enough that Obama has documented associations with Soros and Trumpka. Not too mention his past associations.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:46 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Okay, so despite what you think of a speaker, it is terrible manners to be an adult "class clown" at a formal event. This is a disheartening example of the US citizenry lack of manners and respect. I was similiarly disgusted in high school when stupid folks thought it was funny to throw things at the teacher or distract others from learning.

Most of us would probably be extremely respectful to any leader, whether or not from our chosen party. If we don't like them, we don't vote for them.

Grow up, folks.

"You can take the stupid out of the classroom, but you can't take the stupid out of the stupid!"
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 11:46 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• guy who leaked the info should not be freed!
    ..........................................................................

WRONG!!! he is just telling everyone what the Governments are doing and we should know if our men and women are being killed in the name of Freedom!!
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:47 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• My feeling is, I respect the group for standing up for what they believe, and doing what it takes to be heard. Then my respect was completely washed away upon learning they support a group that promotes treason against it's own country.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:48 AM on Apr. 22, 2011