Ds screamed for an hour last night...

My 5mo Ds woke up an hour after going to sleep, hungry. I changed him, fed him, he belched, and fell asleep. I went to put him in his bed, once he realized he was there, the fit was on! I tried rolling him over and patting, occasionally works. Not this time. I gave him the binky. Screaming, spit it out. Picked him up, he would chill out. I held him for 10 min, he fell asleep as soon as he got settled. Took him back to bed. Again, the screams. I tried ibuprofen, oragel, frozen binkies, thinking maybe it is teeth... but nothing worked. I then took him to bed again, and let him CIO. He screamed for an hour solid!

Help, he's driving me insane! I picked him up to put him to sleep and all the while, screamed in my face! I have never met a more instantly PISSED baby in my life!

matobe

Asked by matobe at 11:28 AM on Apr. 22, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• ahhh.. sorry mama.. my son was colic and every episode was 3 hours of screaming like this non stop - all I could do was rock him and sing or cry WITH him - he must have been bothered by something.. I'm sorry - Infants can be hard.. hang in there
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:32 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Well, he's fulfilling the contract. You're not allowed to stay sane, you know. **grin**

Did he become inconsolable while held after being left to CIO? For how long? You may have left it too long. I personally don't believe CIO works, but I also think if you're going to use that method, five minutes is the limit.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:36 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• My dad tells a story on me when I was young. I don't know how old i was, but young. I was wearing those footed jammies and he had done EVERYTHING he could think of to calm me down. Fed, clean diaper, cuddles, all of it. Well, he did something and found out that I had a hair wrapped around my toes. Once he removed that hair I was fine again.

I think an hour screaming was WAY too long for a 5 month old. When babies cry they NEED something. If you don't fill that need they don't feel as comfy and secure as they should feel. As frustrating as it is, if he was only calm and sleeping in your arms then you should have gotten comfy in the rocker or out on the couch with him sleeping on your chest. I don't know HOW many times my kids and I would fall asleep that way.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:59 AM on Apr. 22, 2011