What's your opinion on this?

When we went to the grocery store the other day there was a woman sitting outside with a "Hungry, Need Food" kind of sign. So I went in to buy what I had to get, and got a few things for her to make a decent lunch. Anyway, when we got outside she had already received 3 bags of food from someone else, and looked like she was getting up and getting ready to leave so I decided not to give her the food.

After I got my stuff in the car I had to drive by the area where she was sitting to get out of the parking lot, and noticed she had her bags of food in a grocery cart, and then had sat down again with her sign. In a way I was kind of glad I hadn't given her what I bought her. I mean, once she got stuff, don't you think she should have stopped sitting there?

What would you have done? Given it to her? Or not?

PS. DS was with me. He knew we were buying the lunch for her, because we do that sometimes for people we see, but I also explained to him that I didn't feel it was right for her to continue begging when someone had been generous enough to help her out already.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Apr. 22, 2011 in Just for Fun

• I would have still given her the food....maybe she's trying to stock up because she has children or something, and even if they ARE doing something they have no business doing or they are just being greedy I know that I did what I could
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 11:46 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I have mixed feelings on it. On the one hand, yes, someone had been generous and helped her, so it could be considered scamming. But on the other hand, how many people did she have at home that she needed to feed, and how many times has she not gotten help (so that maybe she felt that she had to stay longer and try to get as much as she could while she could, so it would last longer, kwim?)..

I don't know, I think it's a very grey area...
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 11:47 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I would still give her the food. Like PP said she may have kids or trying to get a bunch of food to last a few days
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:48 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I would have done the same thing you did.
    bizima4

Answer by bizima4 at 11:48 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I would have given her the food.If she was sitting outside with a sign she must of been pretty desperate,and you already bought it for her.
    sarah389

Answer by sarah389 at 11:50 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Well this area I'm kind of iffy. I helped this one lady once and found out she makes her way around town. Our town is pretty big, I find it hard to believe she would go allllll over town to get free food, and walk the distance it was with her kid. So it's kind of a, should I or shouldn't I think.

One guy sits in the same spot practically every day with his sign. It's been months. I don't think he's probably even tried to get a job - just sits there on the corner.

So basically in general, I don't mind helping out, but am kind of wary of them all now LOL.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:54 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Back in the day when I worked for the public library and knew the answer to these things (and routinely encountered lots more homeless people) I'd have given her the information for the food bank, shelter, and social services. They are in a better position to give help than I am.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 12:24 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I knew a friend who was going thru a Taco Bell drive thu. She saw a homeless person with a sign. She decided to buy extra tacos and give it the homeless person. The homeless person got mad. He said, "I don't want damn tacos! I want money!" After that I am very leary of giving anything to the homeless.
    dlee620

Answer by dlee620 at 10:25 PM on Apr. 22, 2011