Have you checked for SEX OFFENDERS in your area?

I found a registiry that is free and it has a map that shows where the sex offenders live in your area and what they were charged with. I was SHOCKED there is a sex offender on MY STREET just 4 houses down from mine!! It says he was charged with having a computer with child pornography on it!!! Wow.

There was a total of 79 sex offenders in my town...There were over 300 in my County!

L0vingMy3Girls

Asked by L0vingMy3Girls at 11:45 AM on Apr. 22, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I just want to say, that some of these "sex offenders" are 18-19 year old boys who had sex with their 16-17 year old girlfriends. I went to school with a kid who got prosecuted by the state for having sex with his girlfriend, he was labeled a sex offender and has to register for 25 years or something like that.... he wouldn't think about touching a child.... so just be aware that as you are checking these sights they don't say how old their victims are....some will say "with a child" and some say with a "minor" but they do not distinguish between the two. I believe that they should most definitely distinguish, and I also believe that sex offenders with any spec relating to a child (we aren't talking teenage kids having sex) should not be allowed to live in family friendly neighborhoods...I could never trust someone who molested a child, or had child pornography on their person or in their computer...
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 4:17 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I always check.
    1. The home we owned in AL had a SO listed across the street, everyone in the county knew he didn't live there. Where did he live? After all that I could do legally, his whereabouts was never disclosed and his family continued to allow him to list their address as his.
    2. The home we owned in MS had a SO listed about 1/4 mile down the street, it was my husband's boss's son. We knew him, and the family-again they allowed him to use the address and everyone knew he resided in Paducah, KY. Still does, and is STILL listing his MS address.
    The SOR is great for reference, but you never really know where they live.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 12:12 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• and this service is free by the state, you should never pay for SOR registries.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 12:13 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Absolutely. When we were home-shopping, that was one of the first things that I did.

I live close enough to a school, now, where that won't be a problem, but I did avoid cities that were high in concentration.

The only problem is that so many SO's are MIA, or they use a parent;s address to register, without actually living there, so that they can move to their desired location, which may be near a school.

We do a terrible job tracking these psycho perverts . . they are pretty much roaming free to have at us.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 12:34 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• One thing to remember, or maybe a few things to remember, as stated above, not all offenders register as they are supposed to, so be vigilant. Check that website every few months or so. Teach your children about good touch vs bad touch and how to protect themselves from being victimized. One thing that I also discovered is to make sure you look at why they were on the list. We found out that someone registered in our area was on there because he had a concentual relationship with someone who was just barely a minor and the parents of the girl insisted on pushing through the rape charge. After the girl turned 18, they got married, but he still has to register as an offender. Is he dangerous? I'm thinking not. As a parent, though, I don't think you can be too vigilant in protecting your children from predators.
    mrslabel

Answer by mrslabel at 1:14 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I check Megan's Law.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 11:49 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• You better believe i do check! Those pervs are everywhere They just did to ship them off to a small island and keep them away from people.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:54 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I check it regularly. Thanks for the suggestion, OP. Just one thing, these type of watch websites only really track offenders that have been caught, prosecuted and found guilty in a court of law. Just because someone isn't on the watch list doesn't mean that they aren't a threat. Just food for thought.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:02 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Regularly, and its free.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 11:47 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I checked before we move here a year ago and there were no sex offenders in our area, I think I will check again though, it doesnt make me feel any safer though a lot of people dont get caught, so no matter what I am cautious with the kids. Having a pedophille 4 doors down would freak me out a bit though!
    -LovingMamma-

Answer by -LovingMamma- at 11:50 AM on Apr. 22, 2011