What would you do if you found $20 in a grocery store parking lot?

This happened to me last night, my dh thinks that what I did was nuts, I'll let you know what I did after I hear what others would do.

gramsmom

Asked by gramsmom at 11:47 AM on Apr. 22, 2011 in Just for Fun

• Actually, I was at Smiths one time and saw a mom and daughter get out of the car...well, when she went in I happened to see a $100 bill flying across the parking lot. I drove over, picked it up and waited..well, 5 minutes later she came out frantically looking for it, and asking the guy pushing the carts if he had seen anything...well, I knew it was hers so I ran over to her and gave it to her...she was in tears b/c it was her grocery money for the week. I was just happy to find the CORRECT owner.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:02 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I've been through this, only it was a $50 bill. It was two years after I graduated high school and I saw it in a parking lot of a local restaurant. I picked it up and stood there looking around for a minute or two waiting to see if someone looks like they are looking for money. Then after nothing caught my eye, I went into the restaurant and gave the owner my information for him to call me if anyone came to in claiming to have lost money. I just put it in my savings account believing I'd have to take it out the next day. Almost 20 years later and it's still there.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 11:54 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• If you return it to the store the managers or workers just pocket it. I worked for a grocery store and that's what the front desk told me that no one ever comes and ask so they pocket it right away or split it. SO I guess after hearing that I might keep it, I dont know I would have to see when it happens
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:50 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Seeing as how it was only 20 and it was in the parking lot I would probably keep it. Because asking around everyone would say it is theres and even though i feel sorry for whoever lost it they are probably long gone anyways.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 11:50 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• It was just laying in the parking lot all by itself? I would have picked it up an got in my car. Then called the store and told them about it? Right answer?
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 11:51 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• thats a hard one......hmm i think i would turn it in or give it to the food bank .......
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 11:51 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Put it in my pocket
    sarah389

Answer by sarah389 at 11:52 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• It would be a hard decision. Because whoever you gave it to in the store would probably pocket it..But turning it in would be the right thing. At least you did the right thing on your part it's up to them to do whats right on their end

bizima4

Answer by bizima4 at 11:52 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Pocket it!!
    Heather759501

Answer by Heather759501 at 11:55 AM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I like the idea of keeping it and donating it somewhere useful, or go in and buy food with it and donate the food. I dont think there is much that would be done about $20 that was found in the parking lot.
    -LovingMamma-

Answer by -LovingMamma- at 11:56 AM on Apr. 22, 2011