Should parents "control" teachers like this? Where does free speech end?

My sister is a teacher and one of her coworkers is an openly gay man. On his car he has a bumper sticker for the Human Rights Campaign, an organization that seeks to bring equality for gays and lesbians. Recently a parent complained that she was upset that her child had to be "exposed" to such things in the school parking lot and the principal said he should remove it. However, there are other teachers with religious and political stickers on their cars who have not been told to do a thing. So is it only free speech if one "agrees" with it? Since when do parents get to assert such control over teachers?

mommyjenny2009

Asked by mommyjenny2009 at 12:01 PM on Apr. 22, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Id like to know what the bumper sticker said before I form an opinion, if it was something vulgar or something then I would say it needs to be removed, but if it was just stating his opinion I dont think he should have to do anything about it.
    -LovingMamma-

Answer by -LovingMamma- at 12:03 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• He should be able to express his feelings towards things. That parent that made such a big deal, better not let their child go to collage or anywhere else in the world.
    happynlovenlife

Answer by happynlovenlife at 12:04 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I would be pissed and refused to remove it
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:05 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• That bumper sticker has NOTHING to do with the way he teaches I am sure, and that parent needs to STFU and mind her business.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 12:07 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• The bumper sticker doesn't say a thing. It's the logo for the Human Rights Campaign. (Yellow equals sign on royal blue background.) You would have to be "in the know" to know what it means.
    mommyjenny2009

Comment by mommyjenny2009 (original poster) at 12:08 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Well then its rediculous to have him remove it, sometimes the schools need to stand up to stupid parents like that. I wouldnt remove it if I were him. Unless they are going to make a policy where no teachers are allowed to have bumper stickers then they cant have him remove his either, and I think it would be rediculous to take it that far. I hate how PC everyone is to try to please everyone else these days.
    -LovingMamma-

Answer by -LovingMamma- at 12:12 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I would have refused to remove it, too. The principal should have stood up for the teacher and told her no, rather than asking the him to remove it.

She doesn't like her child being exposed to the idea that all humans deserve equal rights? Then she should home school her child so he doesn't have to experience anything in life that might be different than what's under that rock from which she crawled.
    Eek_a_Geek

Answer by Eek_a_Geek at 12:15 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• You asked where free speech ends. I think it ends in the classroom / school doors in that a teacher should not be biased in teaching their personal views on things like politics, religion, etc.

However, a bumper sticker on a car, especially one that doesn't have a lot of vulgar or hate crime sorts of messages on it, is their own business.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 12:15 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Free speech ends where Politcally Correct begins
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 12:16 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• hmmm....that's a tough one.
    ItsJustMe1017

Answer by ItsJustMe1017 at 12:16 PM on Apr. 22, 2011