Want ideas for what to do with my kids artwork....

i have 2 girls one in 2nd and one in her 2nd yr of kindergarden,,, and i have oodles of artwork... i try to throw out anything that isnt a special project immediately but i still have 2 large totes full of drawing, and paintings and "special projects" .... any creative ideas... would love to hear from anyone... thanks.... jamie

jjpnelson

Asked by jjpnelson at 12:13 PM on Apr. 22, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Ohhh, I just read an article in my parenting magazine that has a place you can send your kids atrwork and they will create a mosaic art collage for you to hang. You can even pick the size you want. I will try to fing the name of the company b/c I am really interested in doing this myself.
    wendydays

Answer by wendydays at 12:17 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I have 5 in elementary school, and like I tell all of them if I saved everything I would have to build a room to put it in. I save all special projects and put them in a file box. Pretty pictures get hung up on the fridge for a while then discarded. I have a few things, like the first reconizable thing my dd drew (a snowman family) framed and hanging up.
    lovinlifewith5

Answer by lovinlifewith5 at 12:19 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Frame some, use it to as gift wrap.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:19 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I once knew a lady that would lay them all out on a table and take pictures of each of them and put it in a scrap book. This was before digital cameras were all over the place - you could take pictures of them and then you could make a file on your computer or make a disk for each child for each year.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 12:20 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Save the stuff you really love and take an up close photo of the other things and put the photos in an album and throw out the artwork
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 12:28 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I've started hanging all the kids artwork in my laundry room.I just cover all the walls floor to ceiling and I can look at it while I do laundry which is pretty much all the time.
    sarah389

Answer by sarah389 at 12:32 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I saw this in a catalog recently and thought it was pretty neat!
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GL1D40?ie=UTF8&tag=fuzzyslippers00-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B000GL1D40
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 12:51 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• @ sarah389 glad to now i am not alone with the laundry, i feel like instead of the master br being "myroom" the laundry room is MYROOM lol sometimes i also think that my house is manufacturing dirty clothes... lol just kidding ... thanks for all the ideas ladies!!!!``
    jjpnelson

Comment by jjpnelson (original poster) at 12:56 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• You can take photos of the special pieces and create a scrapbook or photobook (like the kind you make online) with them. You can pick a few to 'display' in a special spot and rotate them out. I have two big art portfolios that we store the most special of special pieces. Every few years I go through them and reassess. Some things that were too hard to part with originally get easier to see disappear later. ;)

One year both my kids had made flowers out of hand prints in school. My mom scanned those pictures into the computer and printed the image off on special fabric. She turned those pictures into throw pillows for me for Mother's Day. You could do the same with a scrappy quilt. For example, we're keeping things like cub scout neckerchiefs, sports jerseys, etc. Those items with art scanned onto fabric will be made into a memory quilt.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:19 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• We hang some up and others we take pictures of to use as screen savers on our computer.
    bether89

Answer by bether89 at 2:05 PM on Apr. 22, 2011