No Asthma but preventative meds...

My son who is 10 months old has gotten about 10 colds this winter/spring. Out of 2 of these times he had a wheeze. His Drs put him on steroids and nebulizer treatments both times. This last time was just this week. He had a re-check today and his lungs are now clear,though the cough still lingers(all the kids have this cough) I asked right out if it was Asthma as I heard a recurring wheeze could be a symptom. The DR said no but hed like to put him on a preventative inhaler once a day medicine to keep it from happening in the future. Im not sure I like this Idea cause as I stated this is his 10th cold an only second Wheeze episode. With Asthma it would be EVERY cold which is not the case here. So, what Im wondering is if I should bother with the prescription. SO and I are trying to figure it out, not sure what to do..Id really like to see what you guys think, if anyone else has had to use preventatives with their children or if anyone declined and what the outcome was. Thanks!

LenaMommyof3

Asked by LenaMommyof3 at 12:23 PM on Apr. 22, 2011 in Health

• There wouldn't necessarily be a wheeze with every cold. Since I was diagnosed with asthma I have yet to wheeze except during an attack. My son who has asthma only wheezes with every few colds. And I have never heard my husband wheeze. The inhaler makes sense to me. It seems to be a way to try and keep him from developing asthma due to so much antibiotics (assuming he has had them with just about every cold) and colds.

If you are concerned, call the doctor and express your concerns.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 1:24 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Yeah, hes been on 3 different antibiotics since the cold season started. I guess Im worried about the side effects in the long run. I know a lot of these meds cause growth delays and such. I am a firm believer of treatment if there is a problem, but knowing he doesnt actually "have" anything and giving him a daily medication worries me. Ive never gone through this before with my other 2 so its all new to me.
    LenaMommyof3

Comment by LenaMommyof3 (original poster) at 1:28 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I'd be skeptical and do some more research; I have heartburn with the whole meds as a "preventative" measure. I had asthma as a child and was never given anything for it. There are safer, more natural approaches to this problem.
    Anonymous

• I was told with both of my kids that they have asthma, I think they were given that diagnosis because every single person on their dads side of the family has it. Sometimes when they get colds, they sound a little funky, and that is the only time I give them their inhalers, I really don't feel like they need to be taking meds for something everyday that doesn't even effect them. We do always have an inhaler with us just in case though.
    kyuteangl88

Answer by kyuteangl88 at 3:55 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• kyuteangl88, When were your children diagnosed. Were you told to use a preventative by your pediatrician and chose not to?
    LenaMommyof3

Comment by LenaMommyof3 (original poster) at 4:01 PM on Apr. 22, 2011