Does a Child need BOTH a mom and a Dad?

just wondering what everyones opinion is

Anastacia1988

Asked by Anastacia1988 at 12:37 PM on Apr. 22, 2011 in Relationships

• Yes I think so but it's not always possible and some single parents do a great job of fulfilling that void.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 12:39 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I think kids need a feminine and masculine figure in their lives. it doesn't have to be a male or a female per-say.. just someone who is soft and someone who isn't so soft to help them balance out
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 12:41 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• yes but sadly these days you see more single parents than ever...and they're trying their best
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 12:42 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• NO NO NO! It's better the child has one parent then a dead beat piece of shit other parent.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:43 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I think it is ideal to have role models of each gender, not necessarily parents. I grew up with out a father, and I turned out just fine
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 12:44 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Yes.
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 12:46 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• yes, i do believe they do. If not possible, then let a uncle, aunt, grandparent step up and give them that "male or female" role model they need.
    ItsJustMe1017

Answer by ItsJustMe1017 at 12:48 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• No a child doesn't. I was raised by my grandparents, one was an over controlling, over bearing, her way or the highway type of person, while the male figure was the walk all over me and I'll look the other way because whatever. My mother, who was very much a part of my life was my best friend but never my mother. I don't know who my biological father is...don't care. I see friends who was raised by their mom and dad and they were and are more screwed up than I could ever be. It doesn't matter who raises you as long as they love you, and they show you unconditional love..yet teach you responsibility of your actions, and I don't think that it matters if you have a positive influence of both sexes, I think it matters more that you have consistency. Just my experiences.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 12:54 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• If at all possible, yes. I understand that things happen in life and it doesn't always work out that way, and when it doesn't, it doesn't mean that child is absolutely doomed to have issues. Still, I believe ideally, a nuclear family offers a child the best chance statistically of thriving.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 12:55 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Yes, they do. I have seen the incredible pain my oldest son has gone through because his piece of crud "father" denies him. Thank God my current husband has been able to show him what a dad is like and he is finally happy. I believe children need a mom and a dad.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 12:59 PM on Apr. 22, 2011