Getting my milk back, help!

one of my nipples had became very sore so i limited my daughter time on that side, yet i still ended up bleeding
so i keep her on one side while trying to pump the other, but with the pain and the milk being pink. i decided to just give it a break,
now it takes half a hour to hit half an ounce, while my other side can do 4 oz in no time, my nipple is still sore and in pain even with many differ creams/oments, how do i get my supply to come back?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:48 PM on Apr. 22, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You aren't going to like this advice but you are going to have to start pumping for 15 minutes every 2-3 hours. As well, the herb fenugreek has been known to help increase milk supply. I wish there were an easier way!
    wendydays

Answer by wendydays at 12:51 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Your supply is still there. Pump output is NEVER an indication of anything. There are moms who can nurse twins and not get ONE drop at a pump. Ignore the pump.

First... see a lactation consultant for latch help.You need baby on the breast. Brastmilk on the nipple after nursing will help soothe. So will lansinoh.

I would stay AWAY from the pump in favor of fixing the latch. You can find latching videos online, too... breastfeeding.com has great info and so does kellymom.com.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:56 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• And remember that pumping is not always an indication of your supply. When I pumped for my youngest when at work I would get barely anything, but he was happy and satiated when nursing.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:57 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Hi,
    I agree with the above. The way the breast works is like everything else, the more demand, the more supply. If you stop feeding your milk will go away. You have start pumping and feeding on that breast asap. Try different kinds of ointments, also I remember using those gel pads together with the ointments to help it heal faster. Medela and Gerber make gel pads. Lansinoh ointment worked for me as well. good luck.
    BestBabyBottle

Answer by BestBabyBottle at 12:58 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I would make sure you nurse your daughter more on the "bad" side. Always start with that side to get the flow back and going. Her latching on isn't going to hurt as much as a pump IMO. You could also purchase a nipple shield and that may help with the pain. When I BF my DD I lost the milk on my left side for a long time before I stopped bf'ing. It seems like my right side still has more milk in it this time around. Good luck!!
    Courtney530

Answer by Courtney530 at 1:06 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• You can try the mother's milk tea, it works I think. I tried it once and I got a lot of supply, but I have a lot at the begin with so I can't tell how mch it increases
    Amy2079

Answer by Amy2079 at 2:01 PM on Apr. 22, 2011