Why in the world would a doctor recommend giving juice to a healthy 4-5 month old baby???

i swear my friends doctor is a quack! her daughter is about a month older than my second daughter and she asked if there was a way to get her daughter to like the juice better.. at which point i asked her why she was giving her juice at all? (things like: is she constipated, sick, etc). she says it was doctor recommended by her ped. i showed her articles by the AAP about why it's unhealthy for babies and she's going to confront her doctor for an explanation, but still... makes me wonder about some of the doctors out there.

xxhazeldovexx

Asked by xxhazeldovexx at 12:59 PM on Apr. 22, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Minnesotanice, any nutritionist will tell you to avoid juice. opt for fruit or vitamin supplements. Juice or water or anything other them formula or breast milk can throw off a babies electrolytes if introduced to young. Its high in sugar (even if it is natural), and there is no need for additional vit C at that age. Vit is a detox and while it is water soluble and the excess is passed through urine, it is hard on kidneys. Vit C is essential, but babies receive what they need through milk. Excess vitamins are not always good. And babies do not have the proper gut flora to properly break down juice which can lead to an imbalance in the gut causing tummy aches, and diaper rashes. Plus constant spikes in blood sugar is not good for baby.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 1:26 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Well, the doctor may have said *can* give and your friend heard *should* give. Doctors really should be more careful how they word things. At these big box practices the Dr. is int he room for about 4 min flat then recites a monologue, ask i there are any questions, you say I don't think so and they are out the door before you finish the statement. I bet they are all really good doctors just in a over busy practice.
    Anonymous

• The way that I see this post made out is to be a discussion on doctors and their knowledge of child nutrition. Not on her friends parenting. There is no need to start a war.
    angelmine2011

Answer by angelmine2011 at 5:07 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Yeah, I agree with you. It doesn't give a baby anything they need. I have no idea why a dr. would say that.
    Courtney530

Answer by Courtney530 at 1:03 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• doctors are usually only required to take one, yes ONE nutrition class! Doctors are good for checkups, runny noses and immunizations. Other than that, leave the nutrition part to the Dietitians who take over 15 nutrition classes to get their degrees.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 3:07 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• my dd is 5 mths old and healthy i dont see any reason for her to "need" juice right now, not saying its bad or good i just dont see the purpose of MYdd needing anything to drink besides her formula. Wic also wants parents to start their children on juice between 6-7 mths in a sippy cup bc they dont want anything but formula in a bottle, thats when i as the parent decide whats in the best interest for my baby. doctors may know more than me but every child is different, what is good for one child could be not so good for another, as parents we decide in the end when our kids are ready for juice or cereal or whatever.
    Mommy31107

Answer by Mommy31107 at 8:35 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• THAT would be the doctor I roll my eyes at and pick up a vitamin supplement to put into the bottle
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 1:03 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I dont know that is strange. My daughters doctor said she'd prefer me to hold off until after 2 & longer if at all possible just do water. She also said that it was fine to give it at a year I believe but she personally didnt think it did any good or helped that water was a better option.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 1:07 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Some doctors just give the ok becaue parents start chomping at he bit to try solids/ juice. I never asked my doc and she never "recommended" juice or solids. It was more like "If you were thinking about this or that it would be alright around now" Are you sure the situation wasn't more like that?
    Some people take every word thier doctor says as law... and some people rail against everything their doctor says. You need to find a doctor that shares your views because they have opinions too! Yes, it's medical science but... there is some wiggle room. Enough room for conflicting schools of thought.
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 1:08 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• My kids were born in the 1960's and things were much different back then. We didn't co-sleep, babies ate cereal and fruit at two months and juice before year one. We all had healthy babies who slept at night and very rarely were sick. That was back in the realistic times when people were not "helicopter parents" and ....oh, do you allow your babies to be vaccinated? I wonder. We all did and nobody got sick. Friends, relatives, people we met at all the air force bases we were transfered to.
    It worked for us ..... allow for different approaches,different times, different Doctors.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 6:53 PM on Apr. 22, 2011