Is this against the law?

Does anyone know if it's illegal or unlawful to not give a break to employees? I thought a employer had to give a break every so many hrs. I work for a company where I have no breaks and a 15 minute lunch break. I just started the job and it's very hard work lifting and standing for 6 1/2 hrs.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:05 PM on Apr. 22, 2011 in Money & Work

• I'm not sure if it depends on the state you are in but here in CA yes it is illegal to not give breaks. You can google it for your state
    myownhappiness

Answer by myownhappiness at 1:06 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• One hour lunch break or 30 with 2 15 minute breaks in an 8 or more hour day.
    wendydays

Answer by wendydays at 1:06 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• It depends on the state you live in, how many employees are employed, and how many hours you work. Look it up for your state.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 1:07 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I'm not sure if its a state to state law or national law but yes there are laws that require so much break time in so many hours. I dont remember them now but what you are getting dosent sound right.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 1:08 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• every state is different...in Tn you only have to give one 15 min. break every 5 hours of work. As for lunches, a 35 min. lunch is required if you work MORE than 6 hours. Not sure about your state tho.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 1:09 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• my state requires breaks... of course the laws only apply to companies of over 50 employees...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:09 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Also the state anf federal labor law posters have to be hung in a public place for all employees to be able to have access to- check your break room area.
    wendydays

Answer by wendydays at 1:16 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Call your states Department of Labor. If your only working 6 1/2 hours a fifteen minute break is all your entitled to.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 2:06 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• For 6 1/2 hours a 15 minute break is what you get.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 2:49 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• It depends on the state and how many continuous hours you are working. I believe the states that require a "rest break" in the amount of 10 minutes for every 4 hour shift are California, Colorado, Illinois, Kentucky, Minnesota, Nevada, Oregon, and Washington. Other states do not require it but most companies employing individuals in heavy labor intesive jobs should or would allow it. Have you asked for breaks and been denied? Most states only require meal periods, unpaid, by law for shifts worked over 8 hours at a time. There are some states that require them for shifts less that that, I believe California being one of them but I don't work there so don't quote me on that. I would check the DOL site for your specific state to find our your state regulations on break and meal periods.

mommyslate

Answer by mommyslate at 2:56 PM on Apr. 22, 2011