Children and Lying

So I have been thinking about this for awhile now, I would like some opinions.

We teach our children that lying is wrong, and for some a sin. However, with that said, we teach our children about Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, The Tooth Fairy, and many many other things that when our children find out are devastated, although they bounce back quickly.

As parents who raise their children to believe in stuff like this, are we teaching them to lie and worse, to accept it and move on?

kitchenwitch78

Asked by kitchenwitch78 at 1:06 PM on Apr. 22, 2011 in General Parenting

• I wasn't trying to sound rude. lol My thing is my kids know about these characters but they are just that, I don't pretend that they are real. To each their own but that is how I CHOOSE to raise my kids
    myownhappiness

Answer by myownhappiness at 1:22 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I truly don't consider it lying at all. Just as Anon above stated, I see a difference. What I'm doing by talking about the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy is going along with the magic of childhood.

When you go to Disney World and your kid sees Mickey Mouse and gets all excited that she gets to meet MICKEY MOUSE, do you tell her that it's just a guy in a costume? No. You get excited too and get a picture of her with the guy in the mouse costume and treasure that moment. Or at least that's what I'm going to do!
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 1:19 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• although I dont agree with myownhappiness, and think she could have posted in a more polite manor... she is teaching her children well by her faith. And I have to shake a finger at who ever gave her the vote down... I think that was rude.
    Anonymous

• rolling on floorno.

There is a difference between lying to gain something.  And playing pretend for the sake of childhood magic.  It is all in how you present it.  When my kids asked "Is santa real?"  I said "Is it fun? Is the magic of the season fun?"  (they would say yes)  "Then I think you should believe in the magic and enjoy it"  They knew what I was saying.... they 'got it'.

Anonymous

• I agree with Anonymous!!!!
    Kari727

Answer by Kari727 at 1:15 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I find it completely amusing that suddenly, in the 21st century, we a teaching our kids to lie. These childhood myths of Santa, the Tooth Fairy and the Easter Bunny has existed for a few hundred years. It is not a new 'lie' that we are inflictinig on young children. Most of these childhood myths are have a lesson or story behind them such as the stories of MotherGoose or fables might have. There is an underlying story that each of these traditions hold.
    Being that these traditions has existed for 100's of years, ,I doubt that we are suddenly creating a generation of liars. If these traditions are done with the intended spirit, we can teach our children valuable lessons.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 1:19 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I don't teach my kid about that crap! We celebrate but I don't lie to them and tell them those figures are real. They are storybook characters in our lives lol If my kids need something to believe in I give them God
    myownhappiness

Answer by myownhappiness at 1:07 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I really don think telling them about the easter bunny is that big a deal.... hahah seriously like its tradition.... ur folks lied to you!
    Anastacia1988

Answer by Anastacia1988 at 1:12 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Not real sure who is doing the voting down of the answers, but please stop. I want everyone's opinions. I have my own and I would like to hear others, without a vote down because they aren't agreeing with how whoever is voting down believes.
    kitchenwitch78

Comment by kitchenwitch78 (original poster) at 1:17 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• First - Santa was a "real" man, based off of St Nicholas. A forth century Greek Christian.

Would you rather your child never believe in anything magical or something they cant prove??? Or go to school crushing other childrens beliefs???
    Just adding these as counter questions.

Totally Agree with AllAboutKeeley!
    MrsDAP

Answer by MrsDAP at 1:29 PM on Apr. 22, 2011