Kindergarten!! YIKES!!

Well, I have a 5 yr old..and we had kindergarten round-up last night. I am so nervous about her starting school, which I know is normal. The school district we are in, is qualified as poverty due to the fact that the school has not met state regulations as far as test scores go for grades 3-6. My first instinct is to transfer her to a school who has met those qualifications, thinking she'll probably get a better education. I dont want to judge the school as a whole based on the numbers, but I am. What would you Mom's do? In our area, there is not a whole lot of schools to choose from that have passed those scores. The ones that have, are so popular..they are "closed" to accepting new students..out of the area. I also could transfer her to a school..that is in our babysitters district..it is a nice school...that has done slightly better than ours..but not by much. (this is only based on numbers for the test scores). The babysitters daughter goes to Kindergarten there now, and she is very impressed with the school. I am so confused, and not quite sure where to go from here. My daughter is so excited to start school, and I want to share the excitement with her...but this is not fun having to make all these really important-life changing decisions. Can I hire someone to make them for me!? lol..kidding! HELP!

LoveMyKids0203

Asked by LoveMyKids0203 at 1:22 PM on Apr. 22, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Take tours of the kindergartens. Ask to see the curriculum. Ask about test scores, homework, expectations.

Also take a look on greatschools.org see what people are saying about the schools. It's a daunting task and we were lucky that the school we chose for our oldest has been a good fit for our younger 2 as well.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 1:29 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I agree with PP.....ask as many questions as you can and get the answers. Check out reviews. Putting your child is a school outside their district is not an easy decision and shouldn't be taken lightly. In fact, next year that district's scores may be below your district's scores.

And always remember....YOU are your child's best teacher!! :-)
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 1:37 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I would talk to some people that have children in the school now to see what they think about it.
    bether89

Answer by bether89 at 2:04 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• my kids go to the #2 ranked elementary school in our state. my oldest child is in the first grade. i loved kindergarten, but i am terribly disappointed in our child's first grade education. there is so much more to your child's education than rankings and test scores. I suspect that our school has a high ranking because they spend sooooo much time testing and evaluating the kids. they have evaluation software to evaluate the evaluations!
    imo, great communication between you and the teacher can make a huge difference! another thing that will help your child's education immensely would be volunteering at the school as much as possible.
    good luck to you!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 2:05 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• well i wuld transfer if your not comfortable with your school
    flipper4u21

Answer by flipper4u21 at 3:05 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• My advice is a little different than the others. It probably won't be well received either but I wanted to share and perhaps help. I would say that if you are not happy with the school's performance, then get a curriculum & supplement with your child. While most folks tend to think it is the total responsibility of the school to educate their child(ren); it really should be viewed as a partnership between the parents and the teachers. Too many times parents complain about what a poor job the school is doing, yet won't help their own child(ren) by teaching them more at home. Also, like happy2bmom25 said great communication with the teacher and volunteering at the school can make a huge difference. Good luck Momma! =)
    7blessings

Answer by 7blessings at 10:56 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Yes, I would definitely transfer her to the school that is producing better test scores. It is more of a hassle, but this is your child's education and future. You want to do the best possible for her.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 8:48 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Work with your child and be involved in her education. Reinforce what she is being taught in the classroom, AT HOME. I don't judge schools based on test scores alone. Districts are forced to shove a million tests down every student's throat each year, and IMO tests do not reflect how a teacher runs her classroom. Tests should not be the tell all of how a school performs, but that is all it is based off of - TESTS. We can thank NCLB for that. Enroll her in her school, and see how it goes. If you feel your DDs needs are not being met AFTER TRYING IT OUT, then look into a transfer.
    Anonymous

• start working with her now. There are workbooks targeted at specfic grades starting at preschool. They are fairly cheap and are a great starter tool!!
    auggirl11

Answer by auggirl11 at 12:08 PM on Apr. 26, 2011