What are your thoughts on this

I believe in living life... and Im teaching that to my kids. When we take walks we stop and smell the flowers, we use the curb as a balance beam, we jump in puddles, we jump over cracks... we play. I joke around with them often and will be very silly. We have even danced in the rain.

I have a neighbor who is a wonderful parent but very straight laced and wouldnt think of doing some of the things I do. That is just her style.

Well every morning I lay in bed with my daughter when I wake her up and ask what she dreamed about... she has very vivid dreams and tells me wonderful stories. Sometimes it gives me GREAT insight to the things that are bothering her at school.

Well the neighbors little girl told my little girl that most people dont dream. that she rarely dreams and that dreams arent important and dont mean a thing.

Do you think my daughter dreams so much be cause I have incourged her imagination since day one? Or do you think that some people simply dream more than others?

btw... all 3 of my kids are WELL above average in their creative writing and i have MANY teachers tell me that they were impressed with my kids' imaginations.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:25 PM on Apr. 22, 2011 in General Parenting

• Nature vs. Nurture.

Our brains are all wired differently, and it would stand to reason that you gave birth to kids that are partially wired as you are . . . very creative and fun.

In my opinion, you can foster creativity, but the real difference is actually organic in nature. There is a "nuture" limit.

It is possible that your neighbor's child, even if raised by you, would still not have vivid and memorable dreams . . .

Something to think about .. .
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 1:34 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I think many people don't remember their dreams. And honestly, I would take anything a little girl said in relation to that with a grain of salt--perhaps she's just parroting what her own unimaginative mother has said.
    I'm sure your children are very creative, so please don't take this the wrong way, but I don't necessarily think that vivid dreams=above average creative intelligence. I know a couple of people who shall remain nameless who have extremely realistic, creative, theatrical dreams, but who are pretty average people in most ways.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 1:31 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Hmm I don't know, I dream a lot and my 4 year old always tells me about her dreams. We are both pretty creative and have vivid imaginations (I wanted to be an author when I was younger). Maybe people with a lot of imagination and are more creative do remember their dreams more.  Either way congrats on having a child that has a great imagination. Oh and that little girl is wrong every one dreams but most people forget their dreams as soon as they wake up.

lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 1:31 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Ummm.....well, neither really. DD is very imaginative...the stories she makes up just blows my mind...and more often than not tells me that she didn't dream. I don't believe that she DIDN'T DREAM, I just think she doesn't remember her dreams from that night. In fact, from what I've heard, if you want to remember your dreams, keep a journal beside your bed and write them down as soon as you wake up....you are your daughter's journal.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 1:32 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Your neighbor is wrong. EVeryone dreams. It is a fact, just check a psychology book. Most of us forget our dreams by the time we wake and we don't give it another thought. You are talking to your child about it and she is remembering because you are having her give it a thought. This talking to them about their dreams is helping with their creativity as you do not think they are wacky with what they say. I say "Good for you!".
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 1:33 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• It is more likely that your daughter is embellishing on her 'dreams' and isn't telling the actual version of what she dreamed. I do think that she's just telling you a story and it is due to the imagination that has grown in her. It's very possible that your way of enjoying the simple things has trickled down and shown them the real beauty in life. I do applaud your method of parenting in that sense.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:07 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I like that ImaginationMama
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:36 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I agree with VICESIX on this subject.

Answer by louise2 at 1:43 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I think a lot of people don't remember their dreams, and our household is an example of that. I remember a lot of mine, my LP very rarely does, and my kids are hit or miss.

I can kind of see myself being more like your neighbor though. Imagination is nice to have and important in some ways, but I would not want it to be the only focus.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 1:50 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• They say everybody dreams. Most just aren't remembered. Being that you have taught your children to use their imaginations they may be more intuin to it. Just the same as people who are more intuitive, my youngest son and I are the only two people that have seen a ghost at my mothers. When my other 3 boys haven't seen it, but they were all raised the same.Just some are more open to these experiences.
    d.boughton

Answer by d.boughton at 7:42 PM on Apr. 22, 2011