Is the word "fat" rude

when describing someone... or is it just a fact?

Not saying it to someones face... but lets say you are trying to physically describe a person to someone.

If you feel it IS rude... what other word would you use?

Is there a time when it isnt rude?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:41 PM on Apr. 22, 2011 in Just for Fun

• If it's accurate I fail to see how it's rude. But thats just me. Id most likely say obese or large. But those can are are just as offensive to those types of people as well. TRUTH HURTS
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 1:43 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I think it might be considered rude, but I'd never tell anyone to their face that they are fat. Cant think of a time when it would be appropriate to use it actually. I'm 9 months pregnant and call myself fat though, lol. I know I'm pregnant but I feel FAT!
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 1:43 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I think it's VERY rude!....My husband is a large man and I get straight PISSED when I hear someone refer to him as fat.....there are other terms that you can use in my opinion
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 1:42 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I think its rude when someone is saying something about a fat person, mentions the word fat turns to you and says "no offense" that pisses me off. Especially when the person making that comment is fat herself! Makes me want to say something like that to her
    myownhappiness

Answer by myownhappiness at 1:43 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Depends on how you use it. If you are decribing some one . He is very tall and fat, with long red hair. Or ar you being mean and saying, look at that fat lady over their LOL.

Answer by louise2 at 1:48 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• It's fact. You're either fat or your not, bald or not, short or tall. Those are all descriptive words used to describe the person. Even if you say it to their face it is nothing more then fact. If they're offended then maybe they should look into losing weight. You wouldn't call someone thin if they're not thin, just as you wouldn't call someone fat if they're not fat. It may not be a reality people are willing to face, but it's what it is, and that is that they're fat. Period.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:55 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• "there are other terms that you can use"... please share which ones you think would be less offensive.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:43 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I meant turns to ME. lol Fat is fat if you are fat you know it. Some people like to be bigger. It used to be a common thing. Now people are proud to be thin. Why can't we just be accepting of ourselves and love each other for our personalities and not our waistlines?!
    myownhappiness

Answer by myownhappiness at 1:45 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I kind of agree with vbruno though. If you see a woman who is blonde you say she is a blonde, and a skinny girl a skinny girl, so why not call a fat person what they are?
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 1:46 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• louise... using it to describe someone. I was at the market and I met this woman she was blond with short hair she was fat and wore a blue pin striped suit... just as a descriptive word.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:49 PM on Apr. 22, 2011