Are you a stepmother? What are your challenges?

The big challenge with being a new stepmother is you are walking into a situation already in progress. Family dynamics are in place. Rules and expectations have been communicated to the children, but they aren't your rules. You can't make any assumptions. What seems common sense to you is not to your new family. It's up to you to figure out what's going on, what's wrong, and where you fit in to the whole picture.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kelly-seal/a-lesson-in-creating-boun_b_851256.html

tasches

Asked by tasches at 1:42 PM on Apr. 22, 2011 in General Parenting

• Depends on the situation. I am a step-mother to 2 kids (boy and girl) and their mother isn't in the picture. Their father and I make the rules, we all just have quite easily found where we fit in the whole picture.
    Kari727

Answer by Kari727 at 1:47 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I am a stepmother. I met my stepson when he was 6. We were married when he was 11. He's 19 now. My biggest challenge by far is his mother. The rest I could handle, the peeing on the toilet seat EVERY time, leaving wrappers all over the house, his need to come into our bed in the middle of the night until he was THIRTEEN years old, the fact that he would eat about 20% of the food I cooked, etc. etc. etc. Dh and I would privately fight about his lack of establishing house rules, but it wasn't so bad. He's a good kid, we had a good relationship, I love him and I miss him. His mother succeeded in alienating us, and we are crushed.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 2:06 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• SEE MY STEP KIDS DON'T CUM AROUND BECAUSE HIS BABYMOM DON'T LET HIM SEE THE KIDS SHE HATE THAT HE HAVE GOT MARRIED SO I SEE THEM SUMTIME
    mzhawkins

Answer by mzhawkins at 3:18 PM on Apr. 22, 2011