Dog massage? Not for you but for the critter ....

Some pet owners scoff at this idea. What’s wrong with regular old petting? they ask. And many veterinarians say that evidence of its benefits is flimsy. Nonetheless, pet massage workshops have flourished in recent years at pet stores, dog day-care centers, veterinary clinics, animal hospitals, massage schools and holistic institutes like the New York Open Center in Manhattan, where Ms. Lane and more than 75 other dog owners took a one-day class last summer.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/21/garden/21pets.html?_r=1&hpw

tasches

Asked by tasches at 1:46 PM on Apr. 22, 2011 in Pets

• puppyI know a lot of agility dogs get massages before and after performing. I would never be able to afford it for my dog, but I know it would be very beneficial to her. Older dogs, disabled dogs........I see a lot of benefits, but it could be costly!

Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 2:30 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• could there be a place where you could learn how to give your dog a massage? Then your dog could get a daily massage and it wouldn't cost you athing. You might even be able to earn some money doing it your self.
    stitchintime

Answer by stitchintime at 9:02 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I have three beagles and they love their massages! I give them massages and it relaxes them.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 2:32 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• While I was going to school to become a LMT, I worked on a dog named Shamblin at the hotel where I work. He was far from an athletic dog. He is about 40lbs overweight. I would work on his joints and his hips to the point where when I came in to work, he would bound across to see me, then immediately lay at my feet waiting for his next massage. I am pro massage for anything. Touch heals. Shamblin's body was so out of whack from carrying around virtually another dog, and his puppy muscles were do some much needed relief.
    LoraGardiner

Answer by LoraGardiner at 6:32 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• i have my new puppy and my 8yr chihuaha. and i went to massage school in 2002. giving my SON and doggie babies massages comes natural to me. i mainly do pressure points around the buttocks and hips for my older dog
    Rydersmommy616

Answer by Rydersmommy616 at 5:53 PM on Apr. 25, 2011