Is there a difference between

fat and obese?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:48 PM on Apr. 22, 2011 in Just for Fun

• Of course their is. Fat is a physical appearance thing, obese is a potentially fatal health thing.
    Kari727

Answer by Kari727 at 1:49 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Yes. Obese is defined as someone who is well above the average weight for their height. For example, I'm 5'5 and am fat due to three pregnancies in under three years. I am 195 lbs, which is 65 lbs over the average weight for my height. Now, as of right now I'm just simply fat, but if I were to gain 35 more lbs I would be obese. That would put me at 100 lbs over the average weight for my height. Now, as someone else stated there is also morbidly obese as well. Which would be 200 + lbs over your average weight for your height.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:10 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• so fat is only when speaking of appearance... and obese is only when speaking of health?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:51 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Yes and no. People often don't realize they are obese, they think they are "just a little fat." It has to do with your BMI. Either way, it's unhealthy. Obese is just more unhealthy
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 1:54 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I think it is a difference in weight. Just like obese and morbidly obese.

Answer by louise2 at 1:55 PM on Apr. 22, 2011