Would you go to the doctor?

Today is day 5 of miserable migraines. I normally get a bad one once a month. The last five days, it starts at about 10am and lasts for 3 to 4 hours. It begins as an ocular migraine. I go partially blind in my right eye, dizzy and then the headache begins about 10 minutes after. I have no choice but to set my 3 year old in front of the tv and my 1 year old in his crib until its over. I feel like I'm going to pass out sometimes. Today its been going on for over 5 hours. I have been taking 600mg of ibruprofen, with no relief what so ever. Excedrin Migraine has done nothing too. I don't think they'll do much more at the walk in clinic. Would you go in, or tough it out? I don't think 5 days is normal though! With my hubby's work schedule 8-8 , I don't have anyone to watch the kids during the day so I'd have to go to the ER.

elenalee

Asked by elenalee at 1:48 PM on Apr. 22, 2011 in Health

• Prob go to a neurologist, my DH had them like you are describing, he even throws up from the pain he now has awesome medication for it and it help so much, not 1 migraine in over a year now!
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 1:53 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• anything head related i would definitely recommend going to the doctor for. I get migraines as well and now the pain and when to seek help. this definitely sounds like the time to do it.
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 1:54 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• just a thought for you...when this episode is over, you may want to consider an elimination diet and look for your triggers, they could be food related. you may also want to consider yoga for stress relief...even just the breathing is very good for us. most people breathe too shallow, and our bodies need air. you may also want to consider seeing a chiropractor on a regular basis. they are dr's of the nervous system.
    i wish you the best of luck, and i hope you are pain free very soon!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 1:59 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I get very bad headaches (not quite migraine).... and I find that taking something does nothing.... so, I've been taking nothing. Because you can actually over medicate yourself (when it does nothing) and then you almost get immune to taking the pain pills.

I recommend going to the dr. Eliminate anything else going on inside.

My triggers are lack of sleep.

Try doing this..... lean your head over the side of the bathtub. Run as cold of water as possible on the back of your neck and head. YES, your head is going to pound. Do this for a min or two...... when done, fling your head back up.
    Dont know where I got this, but sometimes it does help. I'm thinking it has something to do with rushing the blood into the head.

Good Luck
    MrsDAP

Answer by MrsDAP at 2:04 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• The funny thing is, it started the same day I started doing yoga again. I felt fine right after, besides my body feeling tired. I am in fairly decent shape, considering I have two kids. I have put on unexplained weight the last four months. My hormones have been way out or whack. I'm only 23, 135lbs (now 144! )...I have every pregnancy symptom, but am not pregnant. If this headache doesn't stop by Saturday, I am going to go in to the walk in. My hubby has that day off of work so he can drive me.
    elenalee

Comment by elenalee (original poster) at 2:06 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Has the migraine pain been constant? I was having this problem a few months ago, but I'm pregnant, but I only had the ocular part, for weeks, it was so annoying! Any time (obviously not pregnant) I get a migraine the first thing I do is pop a couple asprin and drink a mountain dew. I've been on all sorts of migraine meds, tried the normal stuff, and nothing works like asprin and mountain dew :) But, if caffeine is a trigger for you, it wouldn't be a good idea. My triggers are chocolate and sodium nitrate. You can also try taking alka seltzer. But I would definitely go to the doctor and have them get you a referral to a neurologist and start keeping a journal of what you eat, so that you can figure out if a food is causing it.
    kyuteangl88

Answer by kyuteangl88 at 3:52 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• You should definitely get it checked out. Could actually be cardiac related believe it or not!
    AustinsMommyMI

Answer by AustinsMommyMI at 3:53 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I thought about everything that could trigger it food wise, and sleep wise. I haven't done anything different. My hubby came home on his lunchbreak with a PG test. It came back positive. I think we were both shocked...but that explains everything!
    elenalee

Comment by elenalee (original poster) at 4:17 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 6:32 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Congrats on your pregnancy... All the more reason to make an appointment to see a doctor. A five day migraine is not something to be messing around with.
    onecuteladybug2

Answer by onecuteladybug2 at 2:44 AM on Apr. 24, 2011