Table behavior for a 5-year-old?

He's always talking, turning around and facing every direction but towards the table, eating with his feet on the chair and knees up in the air, sitting on his knees rather than his bottom, etc. I have to remind him a million + times at every meal not to do these things. Is this typical for his age or has he not be taught well enough? (I'm stepmom not BM.) If not typical, how do I fix this other than reminding him over and over and over? It drives me crazy!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:01 AM on Dec. 3, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Very typical, especially for a boy. I have two of my own. They have so much energy! And not to mention any child at that age has a very short attention span. All you can do is keep giving him loving reminders to turn around, finish eating, keep your knees off the table....I know...fun huh?

I remember on some nights I would give my boys finger foods so they could stand and eat. lol Anything to make sure they ate. Hang in there!
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 12:06 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I have the same problem with my five year old daughter! She is just so hyper that getting her to sit even long enough to eat is like pulling teeth! I just keep reminding her, "sit on your bottom, face your plate, etc." She would do "run by" eating if we allowed it. I know it's annoying, but let's just pray they grow out of it, right?
    Mishelly728

Answer by Mishelly728 at 12:13 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I think it is normal to an extent. If he can not sit for 5 minutes to eat dinner then I would talk to him. I would keep reminding him the correct way to sit at the table. You could even try taking his chair away and having him stand for dinner one night.

It sounds like he is testing to see what he can get away with in you house. Just be strong and hopefully he will grow out of this.

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:01 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• First off he is not yours so it's not your place to remind him a million times to do anything. If his father has a problem he should do it. His mom probably allows him to be comfortable as long as he eats. What's the big deal? Not all kids get treated like little soldiers.
    Anonymous

• I have the same problem with my oldest son (10). It was worse when he was younger. I recommend talking to your husband and letting him know that his son's behavior at the table bothers you. Try to be on the same page and ask him to, if he wouldn't mind, correcting his child once in a while. You and your husband are a team. If he doesn't think that his son's table activities need correcting, remember pick your battles.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 1:26 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• I have the EXACT same problem with my 6 year old son. I just give him reminders to turn around and eat and to quit playing at the table. It's all I can do.
    melittler

Answer by melittler at 12:44 PM on Dec. 4, 2008