Umbilicord wrapped around baby's neck?

My friend just lost her baby at 40 weeks because the baby's umbilicord was wrapped around her daughters neck and she died 15 hours before she was delivered naturally. How does this happen? I'm 31 weeks and this has broken my heart for her and scared me for my daughters life. How do you prevent the cord from wrapping around the baby's neck? Is it possible or is it just something that happens?

aheuszel

Asked by aheuszel at 2:19 PM on Apr. 22, 2011 in Pregnancy

• i dont think its preventable..my dd was born at 29wks and hers was wrapped too..but thats not why she came early
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 2:21 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• it isnt preventable. my son was born with it wrapped around his neck 3 times. my husbands as well. its a scary thing to think about :(
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 2:26 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Its not preventable, and most times its not a problem at all. Unfortunately though, there are times where the cord becomes clamped and cuts off circulation. This is rare though.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 2:35 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• So Sorry...
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 3:13 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Oh my gosh that's horrible! :[ I've worried about this as well, but so far all I've heard is that it's not something you can prevent.
    ours

Answer by ours at 4:09 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• My second son was born with his wrapped around his neck and I knew about it ahead of time. at 35 wks I had preterm labor and had an ultrasound and there it was wrapped around his neck. What they told me is to do the kick counts and if the baby doesn't move to come in and get monitored. The only thing that keeps me going with my pregnancies (I am 35 wks right now) is to think about how rear it is. I also pray to god.

~~hugs~~ You will eventually stop thinking about it. (my cousin lost a baby at 21 wks and I had a hard time with it but it does get easier).
    ChristyW3

Answer by ChristyW3 at 4:51 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• it is just something happens .and it doesnt mean it is going to happen to you.GOOD LUCK
    vgaines

Answer by vgaines at 5:25 PM on Apr. 22, 2011