18 month old not walking or talking?

Hi, I have an 18 month old who isn't quite at the point of walking or talking.
He is currently in physical therapy and speech therapy. He is taking 5-6 steps alone with my initiation and and the past few days I've noticed he's been initiating it himself a few times. Talking, he is babbling tons of conversations and has been for awhile and is starting to use the beginning consonants of some words. He is shy to most adults at first but warms up quickly and takes on to most kids instantly (except the ones who are mean right off the bat lol). He is very sweet and loving and everything else I read about his age, he is right on track, except for the walking and talking. My question is, should I be worried about the not walking and talking? He is getting the therapy he needs and is showing progress. Has anyone else had a child who was behind (in preferably both areas) and is perfectly fine now?

elstrawn

Asked by elstrawn at 2:23 PM on Apr. 22, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yep mine got OT and speech therapy and still does and he is 6. You kid will probably need it for a while too. It does help and it doesn't show results over night. Its a long painful process for mother and child. Don't worry your baby will get there. I would talk to your OT about your concerns they care very smart and can answer your questions better than anyone on here because they know your baby personally
    myownhappiness

Answer by myownhappiness at 2:25 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• You're getting him help so that will make a huge difference! My 10yr old son didn't walk until he was 18mos old and didn't talk until he was 2! Now at 10 he's a straight A student in the 4th grade and in the gifted and talented program at school. You sound like you're on top of the problem, so take a deep breath and try not to worry.
    lovinlifewith5

Answer by lovinlifewith5 at 2:29 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• My twins were like that at 18mos old. But, they had extenuating circumstances. They had been abandoned by their birth parents & didn't receive any nurturing before we got them. However, they are 18 yrs old now & excelled in their verbal & reading skills within a college range by 5th grade. You are doing the necessary things to help your son with walking & talking. So, give yourself some credit, sweetie. The pros that are helping you will let you know if there are any great concerns. With my guys, after bath time every night, we did picture & alpha flashcards. My girlfriends thought I was nuts. But, when my boys surpassed theirs in the reading department, they shut up! LOL. Give it some time, work with him on a fun level & keep open communication with those who are helping you.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 2:34 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• My son was walking at 9 months and my daughter at 10 months
    Kaihla0709

Answer by Kaihla0709 at 3:42 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• My nephew didn't do either at that age,but he has PDD-NOS. At 5 he's still not speaking well enough for anyone to really understand him,and he's really clumsy still.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:45 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• All kids r different,yours will continue to make progress,keep up the good work1
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 6:48 PM on Apr. 24, 2011