how worried should i be if/when my daughter "bonks" her head on our (carpeted) floor?

don't jump to conclusions... i didn't drop her. as of now she's 6 months. but when she sits up, or pulls herself to stand, sometimes she topples over backwards and "bonks" her head on the floor (mink blanket on a carpeted floor). either she's fine or she starts crying horribly. if she cries, she normally calms down as soon as i pick her up; but she's so active.. it's starting to happen more than i'm comfortable with (she's landing on the back of her head, ya know?). should i be worried? normally i'm there to catch her, but sometimes these things just happen so quickly. when she does fall like that (& cries) i check to make sure there're no outward signs of serious injury & i make sure there're no changes in her behavior. i guess i'm just worried because she's 6 months. i don't know how "tough" her skull is and she can't exactly tell you something's wrong.. so... yea. what do you guys think?

r.e.l.s.m.o.m.

Asked by r.e.l.s.m.o.m. at 12:04 AM on Dec. 3, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My10 month old fell head first off a bean bag onto a tile floor. I was freaked out but as a nurse, I know what to look for. Did the baby cry right away? This tells you whether she has lost consciousness, even for a few seconds. Is she extra irritable and fussy (a sign of a possible head injury), is she vomiting multiple times? It may be normal for a child to vomit once after a minor head injury but you want to take her to the ER if it is more. Is she crawling or walking off balance? Do you see blood in her eye, nose or ear? When my daughter fell, she cried right away wich is a good sign. She calmed down after 5 minutes and was her normal self. With a head injury, the first 2 hours are the most vital. You want to look for changes over the next 3 days. After that, you are cleared. Sounds like your baby has cushion to protect her head She is probably fine if she shows none of the above symptoms.
    averys1mom

Answer by averys1mom at 2:22 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Babies/kids fall all the time...they get brusise...etc...just as long as she didnt fall hard or on sharp object she should be fine...if you ever get to worring take her to the doc. i hope this helps...only if i could count how many times my boys fell and will they are only 17 months.
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 12:07 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• youre fine i was exaclty the same way when DV(nickname) was at that stage...i cant count how many times my daughter falls....shes starting to learn walking n the count is rising very fast...the good thing about falling so much is they learn very quickly how to fall to where they get hurt less...lol it sounds a lot worse than it is...dotn freak...try to be there but if you dont catch it just do what youre doing n check for any bumps or painful spots on the head...if she gets over it quick chances are shes fine ^.^
    good luck...they get way more adventurous as they learn more thngs...
    Killemo

Answer by Killemo at 12:13 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• It happens so many times you are just a good mom so you are worried, but this is only the beginning There were time my daughter had 2-3 bruises it looked like i beat her. (i dont even spank her) FYI
    Cherish050307

Answer by Cherish050307 at 12:50 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• my 5 mo is falling while trying to sit--don't worry it happens and it is normal--just make sure that she is in an area that is cushy when she falls--I know that can be hard to do. We are practicing sitting on the bed and the couch. Babies fall and they fall alot, there is nothing that you can do about it. Just remember that your a good mom and just be there to comfort if she needs it.
    coala

Answer by coala at 12:59 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• sometimes u just gotta let em fall thats how they learn,we havent always cought my lilone but she started to sit by herslef at 3months.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 8:43 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• My brother in law used to have such a big head that when he would pull himself up to stand, his head would fall RIGHT back to the floor. In fact, his head was so big that for the first few months when he walked, he would push it along the floor. I wouldn't worry about her banging her head, it happens a lot. My brother in law is just fine now, so it didn't hurt him. The pictures are pretty entertaining though. ^_^
    Babyness

Answer by Babyness at 7:05 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• thanks you guys! in an some odd way, it's actually reassuring to know that every kid will have some sort of head injury at least once before they turn 10 and still turn out all right. XD

& thanks for telling me what to look out for.. that was definitely what i wanted to know.

r.e.l.s.m.o.m.

Answer by r.e.l.s.m.o.m. at 9:57 PM on Dec. 7, 2008