Am I in the middle and being dishonest to my partner or do step-parents have these issues?

Two weeks ago, my Step-Daughter took me into her confidence and shared her feelings about some family secrets that have directly hurt her. She is having feelings that I have not shared with her father. I have given her several weeks now to speak with her father and have encouraged her to do so as soon as possible. Am I in the middle and being dishonest to my partner or do step-parents have these issues?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:30 PM on Apr. 22, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Your not being dishonest as I see it. The child will tell in her own time. Unless it's something like the child was molested or it's life threatening, I wouldn't say anything to anyone. She is trusting you to not tell.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 2:35 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• nope i never ever keep anything from my dh concerning my sd...i will tell him and dare him to let it slip that he knows..maybe by you telling him and getting his op on the situation you might be able to talk to her further without letting her know you have told..but as far as not telling him thats a no no at our house lol
    Anonymous

• Sound to me like all three of you should sit down and have a family meeting. That way DH doen't fell like you have kept this from him and your step-daughter will not feel like you have betrayed her trust, but whatever it is need to come out in the open soon so it can be dealt with.
    Graciesmom528

Answer by Graciesmom528 at 2:54 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I agree with graciesmom, time for a family meeting!!! Whatever is bothering your stepdaughter needs to be brought to your dhs attention, and I believe in hiding nothing from my dh. I would talk to your sd and let her know ahead of time so it isn't sprung on her...
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 2:58 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I don't have any advice, but wanted to say way to go momma for being close to her, even as a step mom!
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 3:01 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• let her do it on her own
    mommyof3-2008

Answer by mommyof3-2008 at 3:47 PM on May. 19, 2011