Almost 4 year old doesn't act up till mom comes....

I keep a almost 4 year old in my home. He acts just like anyother child during the day (sometimes you have to get on to him). When his mom comes to get him he will do stuff he KNOWS he cant do....jump on the couch, get a toy that we have done taken away from them and put up, push the other kids, and other things. I have tried two different ways not saying nothing at all first just seeing if he don't get any attention from doing it if he would stop...NO. So now I am starting to get on to him in front of his mom. I will say NO SIR we don't hit don't hit your sister like that. (his sister happen to be here that day) and she will be like oh its okay "jim" we can get in the car and get some candy. b/c he was upset I actually got onto him. so now evertime I tell him something like he can't do things he will get mad and she will either hand him candy or tell him he can do it when they get home......This behaver isn't going to change unless she helps how can I make him listen if his mom isn't going to help

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:34 PM on Apr. 22, 2011 in General Parenting

• I don't think you can. If mom is not on board then really there isn't a whole lot you can do to change his behavior when she is around.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 2:38 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• There's really nothing you can do, besides talking with her and finding out what her rules are with him at home and explain to her the behavior you expect from him, when she's around. I've gone through this too with my sister and her children and believe me it doesn't get easier with them getting older...
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 4:07 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• had this problem a lot when I worked in childcare. some parents would listen to my suggestions and some wouldn't. and for the ones that didn't I just continued to let the child show out whenever she came to pick the child up. I always made sure to other kids were not bothered. Soon after, she realized what I was saying was true and then she wanted my help. Some parents have to learn the hard way when their kid embarrassed them in public that you have to start early in teaching kids how to act. If it gets to be too bad, I would suggest that she find another place to watch her kids, beacuse the other kids will start to think that because he acts that way, that they can. GOOD LUCK.
    yummysmummy

Answer by yummysmummy at 5:12 PM on Apr. 22, 2011