Need mommy support

I didn't breastfeed my two boys but I really want to with this one. I wanted to with youngest but didnt once I had such a horrible pregnancy (two surgeries, multiple hospital stays, and bedrest) I was afraid of commiting to something that could cause more problems. (selfish i know) i am still waivering though and need help staying strong. I am 17 weeks so I have a ways to go. I'm a research a holic and I want to know everything!!!

alligurl186

Asked by alligurl186 at 2:34 PM on Apr. 22, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sorry-ran out of room. Lol! Anyways, while moms were freaking out on me when I told them I'd used a bottle on her (they said she'd never breastfeed again) it actually got me down from having too much milk to having a normal amount while giving her the bottle taught her how to latch on correctly again. I would still talk to the lactation consultant or check out websites if you want some help because they can give some very good advice but remember to trust your instincts. It's okay if something isn't working to try something else instead. :-) Good luck!
    GodsAmiga

Answer by GodsAmiga at 2:30 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• You'll do great, and I can tell you're determined. I BF our DD and we struggled at first and had to give formula, just remember giving formula is not a crime although some will make you feel it is! We had our ups and downs in the beginning from pain, I'd nurse in tears, but that was only b/c we weren't latching properly. The biggest thing to remember is nursing will be new to you and your baby and neither of you know what's going on. Just try not to get frustrated, don't give up if its something you really want and it will happen! GL
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 2:43 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I really wanted to breastfeed my daughter. I researched, I prepared, I got the equipment, a lactation consultant....and I couldn't breastfeed. Our "breast to baby" ratio was too big. Meaning, my breast was too big for her to latch onto...and oh, how we tried. And tried....and tried. Until finally I stopped trying. I wasn't giving up, just realizing that forcing her to try to do something she obviously couldn't do was upsetting her, therefor upsetting me. So we compromised; formula feeding and extra skin to skin time :) Oh and she is a happy, healthy, smart, alert baby on formula!
    Kari727

Answer by Kari727 at 3:11 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I don't think your selfish for not wanting to breastfeed if you think it will cause more problems. Do what is right for you and your baby. It is a high possibility that he will still be a healthy baby if he is formula fed. Your other kids are healthy and they were formula fed. :)
    Diamond2010

Answer by Diamond2010 at 2:38 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• OK, so if you want to BF this one. I would suggest getting involved with a BF group on Cm. Even "like" some support pages on FB. The more educated on BF you are, the more likely you are to succeed with less difficulties and less likely you are to quit.

Here's the thing though. If you want to breastfeed, don't keep ANY formula in the house. It will be SO tempting and people saying, "Your kids and my kids did fine on formula. I know bf is difficult. Just give him a bottle, it won't hurt." Is actually damaging to the bf relationship.

From the second your child is born, put it to the breast and let it nurse until it pulls away, not because you pulled him off.
    get skin to skin.
    One side at a time unless baby finishes one side and seems to want more.
    Babies are born with a stomach the size of a small marble...so, your colostrum is ALL it needs for at least a week or two. Lack of milk at anytime up to 10 days is ok. ~CONT~
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:41 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Baby losing up to 10% of weight is still no excuse for supplementing.
    Jaundice is not an excuse for supplementing.
    The first 6 weeks are the hardest. You WILL feel like baby is on the boob nonstop. It is because the more you nurse, the more you make.
    You will know baby is getting plenty if he is wetting 8 diapers a day after he is a few weeks old.
    As long as baby gains weight steadily, baby is fine.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:47 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• BradenIsMySon

• Just keep it in your head...you absolutely CAN do it if you want to! You have no reason to feel guilty that you didnt nurse your other children...or even if something comes up that makes nursing this one impossible...Keep your friends that HAVE nursed in your speed dial...the first few weeks are rough and you WILL NEED their encouragement on a regular basis to remind you that once you're over the hump is smooth sailing. Nursing is a beautiful thing and I'm lucky to have been able to nurse both of my sons, but I went into it with the mind set that I wouldn't be hard on myself if it didnt work...I promised myself I would at least give it a month (as long as everyone was healthy and the dr. said we were ok) no matter how rough it got...that helped me a lot too.
    sbenbenek

Answer by sbenbenek at 4:23 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I agree with sbenbenek except I say agree for 6 weeks. Nearly everyone quits at 4 weeks when in fact most of the time, it'll be easy peasy once 6 weeks pass. Only 2 extra weeks, but, worth it.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:26 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• It can be hard those first couple months but after that it usually gets better. I want to also add to trust yourself. My first had a high pallette and I have inverted nipples (sorry-tmi!) and so it was really difficult to get her to latch on. The lactation consultant at the hospital was making me try all these different things-the shields, the ways of holding the baby which are acutely uncomfortable and awkward, etc. Nothing was working. Finally during our 3rd night I ditched the shield, held her how it felt natural to me, and held the breast for her until she latched on. From then on she nursed like a pro. My second had a hard time latching on once we got home (did great at the hospital) because I got engorged and she started latching incorrectly. So finally I bought a hand pump and pumped for an entire day, giving her the breastmilk in a bottle, and then the next day tried again and she latched on right away.
    GodsAmiga

Answer by GodsAmiga at 2:28 AM on Apr. 25, 2011