Tennessee 'Don't Say Gay' Bill Advances In State Senate

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/22/tennessee-dont-say-gay-bill-advances_n_852616.html

sondaughter312

Asked by sondaughter312 at 2:35 PM on Apr. 22, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't think it is a topic that should be coming up in a classroom, any more than heterosexual relationships should. If, for some reason, it is topical to a discussion--for example, if they were studying Henry Milk for some reason, it would have to be part of the discussion.

In what sort of circumstance would anyone's sexual relationships or preferences, or any sexuality-related topics--regardless of orientation--come up in a school discussion? If sexualityis discussed for any reason, though, I have no problem with a reasonable and age-appropriate way to present the idea that not all people are attracted to the opposite sex, and that being gay is not the same thing as being deviant or evil or in any way deserving of ostracization.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 5:36 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Here'sa clickable link.

That's just one of the many reasons I can be proud to be a citizen of this fine state.

Ugh.  I actually am wondering if I can get my license plate issued from another state so that when I travel, I can pretend to be from somewhere else.  It's becoming a tad embarrassing to claim any connection to this place.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 2:51 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• That's just ridiculous....someone needs to teach the adults some tolerance...
    GothicChk52

Answer by GothicChk52 at 3:59 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Crap. I just typed out a long answer and it got lost before it posted.

The short version is that I think it's stupid, and I think the real reason behind it is to make it easier for the "Religious Right" Conservatives to intimidate and potentially fire any teacher who might possibly be supportive of equal rights for gay people. And, as the article mentioned, it will also further alienate any gay students or even students with gay family members.
    Eek_a_Geek

Answer by Eek_a_Geek at 4:06 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• stupid. do they disallow gay parents from helping in the classroom?
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 2:39 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I just saw something about this on the Tennessee Equality Project's page. Sometimes it's so embarrassing to live here, but most people I know in this area are nothing like this guy. Unfortunately, the ones that are this way are LOUD though. It's completely ridiculous.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 5:11 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• *sniff*

Thank you, Ladysylpher.  That means a lot to me! 

Now, before the word is banned altogether from my state, I want to take the opportunity to add:

Gay, gay, gay, gay, gay, gay, gay, gay, gay, gay, gay, gay, gay, gay, gay, gay, gay, gay, gay, gay, gay, gay, gay, gay, gay, gay, gay, gay. . .

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 7:55 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• OH WOW--- I suppose there are people who have those prejudices in most states....but THIS is a bill , a Tennesse state bill...and that makes even more unacceptable. How mean.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 5:20 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Wow you would think that Kentucky would be like alot of other states around it, but we don't have a birther bill, we don't have an anti-abortion bill, and we don't have this "don't say gay bill' either. A majority of our state legislator is Democrat, and our gov is democrat but every National election for congress and presidents its totally red. I don't get it.

Anyway, this bill is stupid and I severely hope it does not pass, I'm sorry for those friends of mine on here that live in that state!!
    ladysylpher

Answer by ladysylpher at 7:49 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• How often does it come up?
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:26 PM on Apr. 22, 2011