I am babysitting for someone who was suppose to pick up their kid 2 hours ago...

My cousins girlfriend has 2 kids ( ages 2 and 3 ) ... I was suppose to watch them today while she went to work - from 8 - 1 ...

Well my aunt called at 8:15ish and said that she got a call from the girlfriend saying her and the older child was soo sick and so she had to go there ( 30 mintues away) pick up the youngest and drop him off here...

he is a good baby and I like watching him , but I also had plans this afternoon that I cant do with him ( i dont have extra seating in my car , nor a carseat) ...

My aunt then calls me ( we usually talk during the day) and she asked how good he was, and I said he is being good... she said she seen the mom in town and assumed while she was in town she had picked him up and I said no...

She calls her son and he tells her that the girlfriend and the older child went out to eat and did a little shopping adn now she went back home to take a nap , and he didnt know I was babysitting since she didnt have work today ...

so now I am wondering if she even remembers that she has this other child .... its 3pm and I havent heard a thing from her.

My aunt doesnt like her and says that she alwasy favors the older child ( because he can pretty much watch himself, while the baby gets into things) ... and if she doesnt come soon, she will come pick him up and take him back to his mother....

i guess I can also assume i wont get payed ...

It just makes me so mad - bot that she lied and took a day off to be with her older child ( which i guess she does alot) and didnt get him when she said.... but I can just imagine how she acts when he is home with her....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:57 PM on Apr. 22, 2011 in General Parenting

• That is sad :( I would also be ready to lose it on her when I do come face to face with no kids around. Favours are fine to ask of people, but dont take advantage.
    BluEyedCrazy

Answer by BluEyedCrazy at 3:00 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I wouldn't babysit for her again...and 2 hours past when she was supposed to get him is bordering on child abandonment.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 3:00 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I would refuse to watch the kids anymore or charge her double. My daycare charges me $15 for every 15 minutes I am late past pick up time.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:01 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• She's totally taken advantage of you and it's important that you tell her kindly but firmly. It's sad, but there are many people who believe their lives and their plans are more important than yours, and while even if you tell her she may not "get it," at least she'll learn that she can't use you anymore.
    wishbearmom

Answer by wishbearmom at 3:04 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• If you don't get paid, it happens, but make sure she knows that you will not watch him a second time unless you get paid for the first. Some people just aren't meant to be parents and like to take advantage of others. they rarely change, you can't do much about it.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 3:05 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• She is completely taking advantage of you! I would tell her not to do it again or charge her for it!
    RhondaJ

Answer by RhondaJ at 3:07 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Yes, institute a late-pickup charge and I'm guessing she won't be doing that late thing too much after that ~
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 3:10 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Yuck! Seriously?! I'd try to call her, and if she doesn't answer, there is part of me that would really consider calling the cops and saying that you don't know where this mom is . . .
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 3:18 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• where is the child's father? why don't you have access to the mother/father (cell phone??)..if something happened while in your care, you need to be able to reach/talk to either parent, for emergencies...not just because she didn't pick him up when promised.

don't ever babysit for them again. period.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 3:20 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• well after you report an abandoned baby at your house id get hold of her and let her know how rude and disrespectful to you she was stopping you from your plans and then let her know as a mother shes worthless so you reported her
    flipper4u21

Answer by flipper4u21 at 3:20 PM on Apr. 22, 2011