botched circumcision?

my son's circumcision seems to have healed improperly. he has a small penis and it's always "hiding" up in his baby fat, instead of hanging down. i have to push on either side of it to get it to pop out so i can wipe it during changes. so, as his circ healed, the head of his penis didn't heal in a mushroom shape. instead, it healed level with his shaft, so there isn't larger mushroom tip, it's just all straight and smooth, but you can see the line around the top where the ledge would be. his dr says she can re-cut it so it can re-heal and hopefully get the usual shape back, but since his penis is still "hiding" most of the time, i don't want to do it yet- if at all.

i feel so bad that he didn't heal properly and doesn't look normal, so please, NO ATTACKS! i know i made a choice and i am now suffering my concequenses.

my question is: did or does anyone else have this problem? and what came of it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:07 AM on Dec. 3, 2008 in Kids' Health

• yours got what my doc worns me of...if you dont pull it really down while healing it can heal like that. if you dont cut it now it has chances of ripping when he starts really growing...owwwee...
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 12:14 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Both of my sons have a problem with it. On my oldest the doctor took to much skin and on youngest not enough. Both healed funny and I decided if they want it fixed they can have it done when they are older.
    imtheonlysane1

Answer by imtheonlysane1 at 12:30 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• thanks ladies... anyone else?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:42 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Not to be gross, but I have seen grown-men penises looking like what you're talking about. I always just thought that was what a circumcised male looked like....sorry I can't help much...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:44 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• My nephew's didn't heal correctly either, so my sis had it redone.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 1:15 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I was "coerced" by my husband to have this done to our son. My son has the exact same problem...I know what you are taking about. The skin, instead of going all the way back allowing the "mushroom" to pop out, is kind of "fused" to the end of his penis making it "flush" or smooth, right? I FREAKED out when i saw that this skin was stuck like this and took him to two different doctors. Both Dr.s are very good and highly recommended. They both said that even in UN-circumcised boys, the skin can "stick" to the head of the penis for up to 3 years in some cases and to never force it...it will retract over time. They told me to GENTLY pull it back a TINY bit each and every time I change his diaper. He's almost 2 1/2 now and it's moved back almost to the ridge. Hope that gives you some hope.
    Raegy

Answer by Raegy at 2:46 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• My dr. told me the same thing that Raegy's did. It also kind of corrects itself when they start getting erections while sleeping ( around 2-3)

My nephew had to have his redone about age 2, because the skin had fused together so much. He had no long term problems.
    my4lads

Answer by my4lads at 4:33 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Gee, guessed you shouldn't have cut it.
    http://www.nocircpa.org/4642.html
    Anonymous

• The same thing has happened with my son, who is now almost 19 months. I pulled it back gently after baths and at changings like the doc said, but it is still growing back. I asked the doc about it a couple weeks ago, and she said that it's hard to prevent this on boys who have that little fat pocket that makes the penis "hide." She said we could re-circumsize if it bothers me. i said it doesn't bother me as long as it's not going to cause him any pain, and she assured me that it won't. She said it'll change again at puberty anyway. I figure that if the aesthetics bother him later he can choose to have it done. I'm just glad it won't cause him any pain. Hope this helps!
    tstep972

Answer by tstep972 at 10:28 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• poor little boys getting all sliced up because their parents are too shallow to leave well-enough alone!
    Anonymous