'Baby Joseph' returns to Canada breathing on his own

http://www.cnn.com/2011/HEALTH/04/21/baby.joseph.goes.home/index.html?hpt=Sbin

Sorry can't do clicky....

What do you think of this story? Canadian doctors refused to give him a trach because they said he was a lost cause. He got his trach in the U.S. and is now living out the rest of his life at home with his family.

matthewscandi

Asked by matthewscandi at 3:41 PM on Apr. 22, 2011 in Kids' Health

• BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:55 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• That's is sad the doctors wouldn't help me but good move for the parents to come here and get what that baby needed. Glad he's doing better. If I were the parents I would be suing the doctors that refused to help, they could have been the cause of their sons death.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:03 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• [quote]In court papers, doctors in Canada said there was no hope for recovery. They would not perform a tracheotomy because they considered it to be invasive and not recommended for patients who require a long-term breathing machine.
    Should infant be allowed to die at home?

The family refused to accept the recommendation. The Maraachlis' daughter, Zeina, had died at home in 2002 with a tracheotomy after suffering similar complications, and the family wanted to offer the same care to their son./[quote]

I think the whole thing is very very sad and it breaks my heart, but what is the more humane way to go?
    mrsvixen

Answer by mrsvixen at 4:09 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I'm glad he's home, even if someone is a "lost cause" it still seems better to let them die at home surrounded by family.
    lizziebreath

Answer by lizziebreath at 10:16 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• If they are keeping him comfortable at home, which they most likely are if they have home health or hospice involved, I don't think it's inhumane at all to let the family bring him home.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 12:37 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Tis was done so he is able to die at home. Is dying later at home worth the trauma he endured traveling and undergoing surgery. I don't know, only his parents can answer this.
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 1:01 AM on Apr. 24, 2011

• I think it is wonderful that they were able to get him the trach
    othermom

Answer by othermom at 8:44 PM on May. 20, 2011

• So glad he is doing better
    Jerichos_Mommy

Answer by Jerichos_Mommy at 1:41 PM on May. 22, 2011

• glad he was able to get a trach
    ilovemyboys84

Answer by ilovemyboys84 at 8:44 PM on May. 28, 2011