Are you offended by EarthDay?

So I was just searching for SwagBucks on their blog. And I was reading the post they had up for Earthday. It's really nice and had some great ideas for celebrating today. BUT, a good number of the posts were all about how offensive it is to have Earthday on the same day as Good Friday because "Good people worship god, not the earth." And there were quite a few other comments similar to that one... To us, every day is Earthday - except for today - Today is my DH's birthday and he couldn't care less about earthday, so we tend to just focus on him today. But I honestly never thought people would be getting upset or offended over it sharing a day with Good Friday. I mean, even those who celebrate Good Friday have to understand that not everyone does and that if we don't have the earth we're kinda screwed, right?

Anyways, how do you feel about Earthday from a religious point of view?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 3:42 PM on Apr. 22, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• NO! That's crazy!
    Not every one is a Christian either.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:45 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• No, I don't celebrate Good Friday. But I live on and I'm dependent on this earth just like every other human being. Earth day out weighs Good Friday for me.
    spoiled_wife

Answer by spoiled_wife at 3:46 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I never even gave it a thought to tell you the truth....I don't see why it CAN'T be earth day and Good Friday on the same day...why can't you celebrate your faith and still try to make the world a better place...Some people are so silly and get offended at the most ignorant things....that's my opinion
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 3:46 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• It is silly to be offended. People think too much and look for excuses/reasons to be unhappy and to make other hear about it.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 3:46 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Is it not possible to worship the Earth that God made? This is His creation. It is our duty to take care of it. How can anyone be offended by that?
    AustinsMommyMI

Answer by AustinsMommyMI at 3:46 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• No, not really.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 3:46 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I dont mix religion and other holidays. So freaking what it's Good Friday. TRUE pentacost IS NOT IN APRIL!!! This good friday today is the catholic churches observance of it. I love the idea of Earth day. Wish it has a whole Month for it like some things seem to get. It's high time people were aware of how they live and what they do with packaging and cars effects the whole earth.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 3:47 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I don't take earth day to be about worshiping the earth as much as it is celebrating and appreciating it. I also think that considering that god made the earth (if thats what you believe) then why wouldn't you want to celebrate the creation which is most essential to our entire existence.
    kayslay

Answer by kayslay at 3:47 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• Lucky209 said it right..............the most stupid things!!!
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 3:47 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• I celebrate Good Friday and am not recognizing Earth Day this year because it is not a religious holiday, and is falling on a religious holiday I do celebrate (if that makes sense). I think all holidays are a personal choice and no one should be forced to celebrate anything they dont want to. I also dont think anyone should be asked to change their day or how they celebrate. If you want to celebrate earth day then to me, have at it. But I can understand some people being upset about it I guess. I just wouldnt make a big deal about it.

Answer by gemgem at 3:47 PM on Apr. 22, 2011